How to: Coolant flush and change

noodles

NIce,

Forgot to add

Pour everyting in the Gutter, salmon love that shet

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• mjh937 pinned this topic
  • Global Moderator

Thanks for the great write up, @noodles.  I pinned it and added it to the master list of "how to's" so it will be easy for people to find. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

How long have you been using this "flush solution"? Do you do anything to neutralize the acidic nature of the vinegar? 

Vinegar works well to remove rust from fuel tanks and such, but it will continue to eat away until neutralized. It can be corrosive to the rubber seals in fuel tanks and petcocks, and will cause further flash rusting. I know coolants are manufactured with additives in them intended to neutralize any acids that may develop inside a cooling system, but I wonder if they are able to cope with the amount of acid being supplied in a flush like this?

Just thinking out loud.

• 1 month later...
phanomenal07

dos anyone know what size copper washer i need for the drain bolt? or is it ok to reuse again since the torque spec is so light?

Just now, phanomenal07 said:

dos anyone know what size copper washer i need for the drain bolt? or is it ok to reuse again since the torque spec is so light?

Reuse it.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/25/2019 at 11:58 PM, shinyribs said:

How long have you been using this "flush solution"? Do you do anything to neutralize the acidic nature of the vinegar?

That's the point of flushing with more distilled water at least once after emptying the vinegar solution. The vinegar is in the system for such a short time I have no worries about corrosion or seals. By flushing with pure water, it will dilute any residual vinegar to such low concentration I have no fear at all about damage to the cooling system.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
FNGFZ07Rider

Was one container of the engine ice enough for the fz07/MT07?   Or is ok to mix with distilled water to bring up to proper levels?

• Premium Member
cornerslider
5 minutes ago, FNGFZ07Rider said:

Was one container of the engine ice enough for the fz07/MT07?   Or is ok to mix with distilled water to bring up to proper levels?

I'm 99% sure one bottle of Engine Ice was enough when I did mine a couple years back-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I'm 99% sure one bottle of Engine Ice was enough when I did mine a couple years back-

One bottle is plenty. Just changed mine and even have a little left over 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

firstyammerha

suddenly my four and a half year bike started thermo-siphoning to and from the reservoir a few weeks ago. I must have inadvertently fixed a leak at the radiator cap when I removed it last to check the fluid level.

• Premium Member
On 4/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, FNGFZ07Rider said:

One container is exactly enough, plus a little extra in case you spill. 

• Thanks 1

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, shinyribs said:

Vinegar works well to remove rust from fuel tanks and such, but it will continue to eat away until neutralized. It can be corrosive to the rubber seals in fuel tanks and petcocks, and will cause further flash rusting. I know coolants are manufactured with additives in them intended to neutralize any acids that may develop inside a cooling system, but I wonder if they are able to cope with the amount of acid being supplied in a flush like this?

Just thinking out loud.

I'm with you on this one.  The flush seems largely unnecessary and possibly damaging.