The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk chain/sprocket upgrades...

pgeldz

14 hours ago, scotto said:

all of you gentlemen went to or spoke about going to a 17t front sprocket.  I just got a new '18 and think I want the same.  I wanted to get your feelings about it now a year or more on.  Have you stuck with this change?  See any down sides to it?  Do you find any lack of acceleration at higher highway speeds 

(75-85 mph)?

I prefer 1st gear with 17t. 1st seems too low with 16t. 

However, in full sport-tour mode + 17t, I found myself downshifting more often/gears to pass. The 16t works better at 70-80mph when it looks like this.

img_4953-X2.jpg

And I prefer the 16t at Sears Point also. 🙂

i-54XHPqf-X2.jpg

BRAAAP!

Catfish ...

@catfish What windshield is that on your totally loaded bike.  Looks like maybe a Madstad setup?

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

No negatives for me. Just positives. I still like it, less wear with a bigger sprocket, and it also lifts the chain higher off the slider.

still can't believe anyone gears it lower. 1st would be useless. TEHO.

• Like 3

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 9 months later...

So not to highjack this thread ....but my main interest in increasing top end speed, I want to be able to consistently hit over 125mph (200km), for those that have went from to either 17/43 or 16/41, 16/39? What were your top end increases? Or has anybody found a good combo for increased top end ?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, LRBfz07 said:

So not to highjack this thread ....but my main interest in increasing top end speed, I want to be able to consistently hit over 125mph (200km), for those that have went from to either 17/43 or 16/41, 16/39? What were your top end increases? Or has anybody found a good combo for increased top end ?

Where do you plan on riding to "Consistently hit over 125mph (200km)" ?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I drive mostly highways and long straight rural roads, and every once in a while “when traffic is absent, and the weather is good” I like to do a top end run , I can hit 185km (115mph) consistently, and best run was 199km (124.3mph) .

Drove my buddies R1 last week...now Im just craving seeing the speedo turn 200km.   

2 hours ago, LRBfz07 said:

, I can hit 185km (115mph) consistently, and best run was 199km (124.3mph) .

W/o a crapton of motor work and full bodywork you are not gonna get much more top end no matter what sprockets you pick. It's a function of available horse power and wind resistance. 125ish is tops for a stock bike. Period. 😉

2 hours ago, mossrider said:

W/o a crapton of motor work and full bodywork you are not gonna get much more top end no matter what sprockets you pick. It's a function of available horse power and wind resistance. 125ish is tops for a stock bike. Period. 😉

I’ll admit I’ve bought this from a dealer that didn’t really know much history of it but it has an Amazon anodized exhaust and is mapped, I can hit 112kmh in 2nd at red line  , so it’s been modded, I just put a national cycle V stream windshield on it (much more stable at high speed and now it’s much easier to get there too) got some aftermarket fairings coming and woodcraft clip on handle bars coming, so my only mod left to increase top speed is a sprocket mod. 

Soooooo has anybody seen some top end increase with 17/43 or 16/38 or some other combo?

Soooooo, here's your new theoretical top speed with 16/38 gearing,

IMG_20190919_162718.thumb.jpg.3da6479d0aa3b7959b923c120a184586.jpg

Your actual is still 125ish. 

Even a stock bike will redline 2nd gear. That means nothing. Wind resistance is nill at that speed. The problem is wind resistance and a lack of horsepower as speeds rise that prevents us from redlining higher gears. Double your 69mph 2ND gear speed to 138mph and you quadruple the wind resistance. In stockish form (like your bike) you'd do well to redline 4th gear, let alone 5th and 6th gears with these sprockets. If your bike was capable of going faster it would with current sprockets. There's no way you're red lining 5th and 6th gear with your current set up or your top speed would be more than it is. In fact I'd bet your top speed comes at about 8400rpm (peak power) in 6th gear since I doubt your bike will red line 5th gear which is where you'd be if your top speed was coming in 5th. Your bike will run out of power before it runs out of gearing.

It's fascinating I know. But w/o substantial head work and cams these motors will not rev to 10,000rpm in 5th and 6th gear. 

Feel free to try it and I'll see you back here soon for further discussion. 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

Soooooo, here's your new theoretical top speed with 16/38 gearing,

IMG_20190919_162718.thumb.jpg.3da6479d0aa3b7959b923c120a184586.jpg

Your actual is still 125ish. 

Even a stock bike will redline 2nd gear. That means nothing. Wind resistance is nill at that speed. The problem is wind resistance and a lack of horsepower as speeds rise that prevents us from redlining higher gears. Double your 69mph 2ND gear speed to 138mph and you quadruple the wind resistance. In stockish form (like your bike) you'd do well to redline 4th gear, let alone 5th and 6th gears with these sprockets. If your bike was capable of going faster it would with current sprockets. There's no way you're red lining 5th and 6th gear with your current set up or your top speed would be more than it is. In fact I'd bet your top speed comes at about 8400rpm (peak power) in 6th gear since I doubt your bike will red line 5th gear which is where you'd be if your top speed was coming in 5th. Your bike will run out of power before it runs out of gearing.

It's fascinating I know. But w/o substantial head work and cams these motors will not rev to 10,000rpm in 5th and 6th gear. 

Feel free to try it and I'll see you back here soon for further discussion. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, I’ll try a sprocket setup or 2 over the next month or so and post the results, probably will be what your saying.

1 hour ago, LRBfz07 said:

Thanks Dave, I’ll try a sprocket setup or 2 over the next month or so and post the results, probably will be what your saying.

I'm curious too, make sure to let us know. That's how I learned. I listened to everyone that would put up with me then tried it myself anyway. Do use a gps phone lap timer app tho for speed recording, it's more accurate than the speedo and can be plotted and recalled as needed. 

Just so you know, the shortest gearing I've run is 15/45. I've also tried 15/43, 15/44, 16/43, 16/44, 16/45. Even my bike will only redline 6th gear in the shorter ratios, and that's after a 5,000' straight with a 65mph run up and a good draft. I use gearing swaps more to adjust shift points on track that for top speed however.

Edited by mossrider

• 3 weeks later...

So I got a chance to gps my 2017 Fz07 with stock gearing, it read 5km/hr (3ish mph) higher on the speedo than gps, so my original top speed was 5k less than I thought but I’ve got the perfect solution to get consistent speeds over 200kph (125mph)

62789246-DBD3-452C-8799-806FA0F5805B.jpeg

Isn't that neat how that works.  A 2 cylinder 700 does 125 but a 4 cylinder 1400 can't do 250.

Air drag tripples in proportion to speed.

Be careful, when I was younger I too wanted SPEED. I some how lived to put 80k miles on a CBR1100XX.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Isn't that neat how that works.  A 2 cylinder 700 does 125 but a 4 cylinder 1400 can't do 250.

Top fuel motorcycles can 😅... IIRC the record was in 2016/17???   Like 260mph with a staggering time of like 5.65secs 

Pro-stock just licks the 200mph barrier with 6.60 times... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I'm running a 17 - 42,  (109 links 520 chain),  and just love it....I weigh 235 W/Gear and it works just fine  ....

speedo ?   don't know....don't care   LOL

Edited by bugsinteeth

On 10/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, peteinpa said:

Be careful, when I was younger I too wanted SPEED. I some how lived to put 80k miles on a CBR1100XX.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, peteinpa said:

Thanks, I’m 45 but still like hearing ppl say “be careful” only now they mean “don’t break a hip” glad you referred to speed ;)