The MT-07 Forum

Hi from Canada!

Guru

• Global Moderator

Hi there,

I sold my current motorcycle a week ago (a Yamaha WR250X) did some searching to see if there were any FZ-07's for sale in my neck of the woods.
I ended up at a local dealer who just received two, a red one and a white one. We went to their warehouse, opened a box and there she was  8-)

So I signed the papers, put down a deposit and will hopefully be picking it up tomorrow.

I have to admit that I haven't driven one yet, but I doubt that I will be disappointed when I do. 

I have been piloting motorcycles for 25 years now and have had many bikes in all sizes.
The lightness of my last bike has me convinced that bigger is not better.
My bike has served me well but it has its limitations so I think the FZ will fit the bill perfectly. I can't wait !

Here's a picture. 

IMG_0883.jpg

• Global Moderator
Damn, that's what you'll say in 30 years when you stumble on that pic again. Thanks for joining us and please keep sharing anything that ever makes you say Damn about your FZ.  
Ask if you can get the crate?
Damn, I'll be 80, you're right about the stumbling part.. old-300.gif 

I actually asked if I could get a discount if they just put the crate with bike-n-all in my truck.

I am sure that I would be able to deliver the bike to myself. But they said nope. 

Here's a picture of the Sales Guy Yogi. A hippie straight from the '60/'70. [peace-and-love-033.gif

Good guy to deal with.

IMG_0886.jpg

• Global Moderator
..... He looks like a cool dude to buy a bike from. haha
Cool guy he is, too bad he kinda dropped the ball a bit. The bike was to be delivered yesterday but that didn't happen. I was waiting for THE call all day but heard nothing. I sent them an email and called them at the end of the day but got an answering machine.

It's disappointing that they couldn't be bothered giving me a call to tell me that delivery wasn't possible. I had to make some arrangements too for the planned delivery because it is an hour driver from my home. 

• Global Moderator

As some of you probably know, I've picked up the bike yesterday and managed about 140 miles.

These are my first impressions:

* Torque/power!
Lots of it. It pulls effortless not matter at what rpm or gear. Gotta love torque.

* Fit and Finish.
As to be expected (it's a Yamaha), but considering the price I am amazed. The bike feels solid, like it was made out of one piece. I like the attention to detail and the thought they put into the design. Love the red spring on the white bike.

* Fuel consumption
Not impressed so far It is only meeh.. coming from a WR250X. I now averaged 45mpg on my first tank. I am still breaking it in and I prefer are hard(er) break in so this will improve for sure. I have to say that I am riding faster with it then I ever did with the WR.

* Seat
No problems at all. Some complain about it being uncomfortable but I like it and have no complaints. But the again, my previous seat was a 2 by 4.

* Sound
This is my first twin and I love the sound of it. It reminds me of a BMW boxer funny enough. The 'Cross Plane' does its job and gives it a nice thrumble. It's quiet too which I prefer. It is not a very nice exhaust to look at with those welds and rough finish.
I don't believe in 'loud pipes saves lives'. If the sound of your bike is a way to warn people you are there, you are doing it wrong. I also think (HD) people with open exhausts are generally dorks and have something to compensate.

* Tires
I have Michelins and and they are great. They perform well in the wet (yesterday) and dry (today). I have to say that the 180 rear is a bit overkill for a small bike and I am not looking forward replacing it too often.

* Controls
Nice! Everything is where it should be, feels solid and it has nice details. I like the high beam signal switch and the combined starter button. It has a loud horn and even has a hazzard light switch. Mirrors are beefy and nicely made but just okay, I can see my arms but they don't distort.

I will top this post off a nice poser pic.

IMG_0897.jpg

• Global Moderator

Wow guru, you are not making my wait any easier. Thanks for the review. It seems like you are echoing everything I have read. It is he first I have heard about horn volume. It is good to know that it is loud enough.

• Global Moderator

Do you have a delivery date yet?

• Global Moderator

Another nice detail: when you open and close the passenger pegs you hear a nice click. I am a sucker for things like that.

• Global Moderator

Unfortunately no. The best I can get is it left Japan but has not arrived at the warehouse. To complicate matters they are moving the warehouse over the 4th of July holiday so no one from the warehouse is returning calls. My fingers are crossed for it to arrive next week, which means I cannot pick it up until the 15th as I work until Saturday and they are closed Sunday and Monday. Hopefully it will be here soon as reading all the posts from you and others who have theirs just makes me more impatient. :)

We would all volunteer to call into your boss and make up some bullshet to get you out of work and get your badass bike! let us know, your FZ-07 brothers have your back. I'm sure that we can get creative and get you out of work and on your new FZ-07!

• Global Moderator

If I knew it was going to arrive this week I might not be feeling too well. I do not want to waste a sick call if it does not get here. Hopefully I will have some photos to post soon. I expect once the weather changes and rain is forecast it will get here (kind of like yours).

• Premium Member

Wow on the gas mileage. Just checked my first full talk numbers and I'm at 65 mpg!

• Premium Member

Agree with all your first impressions except the gas mileage as above and the seat as it is hard and painful but I was riding a Corbin. This winter I may take it to local seat guy and get him to improve it. I will see if it starts to break in until then!

• Global Moderator
Wow on the gas mileage. Just checked my first full talk numbers and I'm at 65 mpg!

Yeah, I was kinda surprised to, but the on board computer said 5.2 liter/100km and the fuel gauge started blinking at 200 km.
Maybe it's because I am still breaking it in. I am going to mention it when it goes in for it's first service. I'm at 426 km now so that will be at the end of this week. 

• Global Moderator

I thought the first service was 600 miles. That would be 1000km, would it not? Or are you planning on doing a lot of riding this week?

• Global Moderator

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Global Moderator

You are making me jealous :). I will be spending most of next week at work hoping there is a message on my phone between flights. I finish a ten day off stretch on Tuesday and the riding weather here has been great. I want my bike!!

Archived