The MT-07 Forum

SW Motech center stand mounted today

bugeyes

I missed having a center stand and getting a paddock stand only helped partly, all my previous bikes had centerstands. I also live in a cold place where the bike is idle for months during the winter and like to offload the wheels during that time. Thus ordered the centerstand and mounted it today...

20161029_135156.jpg 20161029_135209.jpg

Mounting it...
Not very hard to do but you need to have some tools for it...
A set of Allen bits or sockets that fit exactly, the bolts are hard to get off and red treadlock have been used on some, some leverage is needed and if you use the wrong tool you will ruin the bolt.
Socket wrench 17 mm.
Small adjustable wrench to get the feeler pins off of the footpegs, new ones come with the kit.
Paddock stand or other invention to keep your bike upright while you remove the sidestand, it is removed and remounted when you mount the left side bracket for the centerstand.
Some tread repair tools came in handy to get rid of old treadlock compound, had problems with getting the new feeler pins to tread and it helped.
Except from tools you should have some treadlock liquid (I used Locktite blue) and some grease ar hand.
It all took me about an hour and a half in relaxed pace.

Using it...
The bike comes up on the centerstand very easy, easier than any bike I had before and almost like a scooter.

Looking at it...
Looks very integrated with the rest of the bike, like it should have been there from the factory.

Setbacks?
Yes one, it takes away a little bit of ground clearance so don't get it if you race the bike hard ( but you would not want a centerstand anyway then). It comes with longer sensor pins for the footpegs ant that's nice.

No it's by the company sw motech that makes aftermarket stuff for various bikes.

It looks nice on your bike. I bought one but haven't mounted it yet.  Can you tell me how far the bike moves back when you use the center stand? I may have a clearance issue with mine when using it where I park. Room is tight. Thanks!

Beemer

I've got one also, love it. All bikes should have them.
I couldn't break loose the factory peg feelers so they're still on. Hasn't been a problem, they have not dragged nor has anything else. Almost zero chicken strips.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

It looks nice on your bike. I bought one but haven't mounted it yet.  Can you tell me how far the bike moves back when you use the center stand? I may have a clearance issue with mine when using it where I park. Room is tight. Thanks!
Need to check that but it's less than most bikes I had 
Edit..
Measured now and got 23 cm backwards movement

I've got one also, love it. All bikes should have them. I couldn't break loose the factory peg feelers so they're still on. Hasn't been a problem, they have not dragged nor has anything else. Almost zero chicken strips.
Good to hear that cearance is still OK, I don't see a ground clearance problem coming for me with my riding style, commuting and pleasure trip at sane speeds. Yes the feeler pins was the hardest part to change, once removed I also had a struggle to make the new ones find the tread.

Need to check that but it's less than most bikes I had 
Edit..
Measured now and got 23 cm backwards movement
That's diddly! Awesome, thanks!

Beemer

be mindful that the right foot's pad will likely hit your aftermarket exhaust canister - it does on my MIVV and will with time cut thru and put a hole in the underside.

One solution is to grind the foot down, the other is to put a bumper where the foot would hit or in another location (eg. cross member) to keep the stand from pivoting far enough to do damage.

I expect with a stock can, there is no problem and anyway the can is metal so even if it were to bang into the underside, it wouldn't do much more than scratch or ding it.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

be mindful that the right foot's pad will likely hit your aftermarket exhaust canister - it does on my MIVV and will with time cut thru and put a hole in the underside. 
One solution is to grind the foot down, the other is to put a bumper where the foot would hit or in another location (eg. cross member) to keep the stand from pivoting far enough to do damage.

I expect with a stock can, there is no problem and anyway the can is metal so even if it were to bang into the underside, it wouldn't do much more than scratch or ding it.
It's fine with my Acra TI system, found that out before ordering. You are right that one should check beforehand. 

I don't have a MIVV but I do have the Akra c.f. which I believe is similar in placement so thanks for the heads up,  pattonme!

Beemer

No way will the longer hero blobs start on mine I will
chase the thread out if I can find a 10mm tap, or maybe not
bother as the stand has not touched down yet.

No way will the longer hero blobs start on mine I will chase the thread out if I can find a 10mm tap, or maybe not
bother as the stand has not touched down yet.

It's standard M8 tread for the pins

• 2 months later...

Keep an eye or or nake a witness mark on the pivot bolts.  I had my shop install it and one came out after a couple of months.   Its a shoulder bolt and hard to find a replacement, other than SW moto the OEM. 

• 1 month later...
Keep an eye or or nake a witness mark on the pivot bolts.  I had my shop install it and one came out after a couple of months.   Its a shoulder bolt and hard to find a replacement, other than SW moto the OEM. 
Thank's for the headsup, I will check. I did use treadlock on them so hopefully they will stay where they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I already did a thread about installing my Motech center stand but I just wanted to say here that I love mine so far, it made my chain cleaning/lubing and rim cleaning a breeze and I didn't have to make room in the garage for it. Another real nice thing about it is if when parking somewhere and the ground looks sketchy (too soft, etc) for a side stand I have the center stand for better stability.

Beemer

Archived