The MT-07 Forum

Couple of tips about installing the sw motech alu rack

bugeyes

I installed it over the weekend and ran into a couple of problems I thougt might be useful to know about for others.
The instructions that come with the rack is quite good so no need for a tutorial, just a writeup on the problems.

Drilling the holes in the plastic was my fear but did not constitute a problem, just follow the instructions an get a progressive drillbit.

Problem [HASH]1
The fender eliminator on my bike turned out to be wider at the top than the original fender. That made it hard to line up the screws that come from under and find the tread. I ended up crosstreading one of the holes and solved it by drilling trough it and put double locknuts on.  Check your fender eliminator if it's wider at the top than the original fender, problems will come. Good to have some extra M6 stainless Allen bolts if you need them, a bit longer than the ones that come with the rack does not hurt. I used longer bolts on all four to make room for an extra nut on top to lock and add strength.

Problem [HASH]2
When mounting the bolts for the passenger pegs with the new hardware inside, one of them would not go in all the way. By now I was tired and just tried to put some more force to it, stupid move and the bolt snapped. I called it a day and went to bed. Next day I was able to get the broken bolt out and check what was going on. The bolts that come with the rack protrudes much further into the frame than the originals ever did, very much further even with the rack and spacer on. Something was obstructing the thread deeper in there and I couldn't clean it out. The original bolt are too short to be reused safely so I had to buy a new bolt, M8 40 mm did it for me.

Other tips about this...
Work on a clean floor where small screws, nuts and washers can be found, you will drop some.
Have some tread restoration tools at hand to clean the tread, don't force it like I did.
Allocate more time for the job than you think you need.

My rack and box are now in place and all is well :)

• Like 2

Some pics then that shows the rack and box.
Other visible addons is the 39 cm Ermax sport screen and the Acra titan system.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
You sure that's the Ermax SPORT? It looks like the regular one. I ask because I'm considering it. Sport
http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Nose-Screen-Sport-27cm-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5022.html

Regular
http://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Nose-Screen-39cm-for-Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5021.html
Mine is the 39 cm, called sport screen on Ermax site just as the lower version, the one you call regular. Reviewd it in these forums and I like it.

• 4 months later...
Some pics then that shows the rack and box. Other visible addons is the 39 cm Ermax sport screen and the Acra titan system.

What brand/size top box is that?  Does it securely mount and is it easily removable?  Also, does the top box create stability issues when bike is parked on the side stand?

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

It's a 40 liter Givi box, it's their monokey mount and can be released by just pressing a button and just as easily remounted. Had no problems on the sidestand.

Which Givi mount did you use?  Does it cleanly interface/mount to the sw motech with the hardware supplied?  Will that mount work for a larger e.g. V47 case?

Btw, bike looks great!

Which Givi mount did you use?  Does it cleanly interface/mount to the sw motech with the hardware supplied?  Will that mount work for a larger e.g. V47 case? 
Btw, bike looks great!
You buy an adapter plate from the same place when you buy the rack. I opted for the Givi Monokey plate that is for the larger Givi boxes and it will work for the V47as well. Just as easy to use as the original Givi rack once it's mounted.

Perfect.  Ordered it and should have it late next week.  I sprung for the admore light kit (running, brake, turn) as well.  I am all about increasing visibility.

Perfect.  Ordered it and should have it late next week.  I sprung for the admore light kit (running, brake, turn) as well.  I am all about increasing visibility.
Good luck with the installation, take your time and you'll be fine. Have a link to the lighting kit, made me curious?

Good luck with the installation, take your time and you'll be fine. Have a link to the lighting kit, made me curious?
Here you go: http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/admore-lighting-led-kit-for-givi-v47-topcases   
They offer kits for various cases (top and side), that have the lenses built in but also offer other lighting options as well.

With this bike being as small as it is, I think the large top case will offer more visibility...especially with the added lights.

Here you go: http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/admore-lighting-led-kit-for-givi-v47-topcases   
They offer kits for various cases (top and side), that have the lenses built in but also offer other lighting options as well.

With this bike being as small as it is, I think the large top case will offer more visibility...especially with the added lights.
Thank's, there wasn't one for my box though

• 1 year later...
AlbatrossCafe

Installed this a little over a week ago. My drilled holes were like 1cm off. I ended up just cutting a rectangle out of that fender piece and saying "F it". You can't see the cut at all once that thing is mounted.

Love the rack so far. Not huge and obnoxious. Just enough to give me what I need. I like that it anchors at the license plate mounts as well as at the footpegs. It has a "max weight rating of 12lbs" but we know that is BS. With my bike on the sidestand, I push down maybe ~40lbs and it moves the suspension before the bike flexes.

FYI: This pushes your license plate down about an inch. I had a slanted-style "hidden" plate that I could no longer use after installation because it would rub against my tire. Had to go with a more traditional angle with the fender eliminator. Probably better to be  a bit more legal anyway...

Now I can carry boxes without awkwardly balancing them between my arms!

5zYzhTu.jpg

• Like 1

The very first thing I added to my bike. SW M made no efforts to save weight in the design, but it's been a tank. I eventually sprang for the larger plate which is horribly overpriced, but works great when you need it. I went for a link and see the price has gone up on these things. Geez!

AlbatrossCafe
15 hours ago, shinyribs said:

The very first thing I added to my bike. SW M made no efforts to save weight in the design, but it's been a tank. I eventually sprang for the larger plate which is horribly overpriced, but works great when you need it. I went for a link and see the price has gone up on these things. Geez!

Does the larger plate bolt on top of the smaller one, or is it a replacement?

2 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Does the larger plate bolt on top of the smaller one, or is it a replacement?

The smaller plate stays on at all times. The larger plate has three quick-turn fasteners that clip in to those three doohickeys in the smaller plate. Hope that makes sense? 

The small rack is the permanent attachment point for whatever accessory you choose to run. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My luggage rack extension failed over the weekend. The quick turn fasteners just gave up. I never noticed they were only made of aluminum! Not a lot of fun when your luggage just falls off the bike going down the road. I see now that the new Street Rack uses a different attachment point, which they admit is stronger the the previous version I am (was?) using. I am talking with SWMotech now to see what my options are. I would definitely buy the Street Rack with the new,revised attachment system if I was shopping now. 

What isn't severely damaged(deep gouges) is fully broken. :( 

AoEKOVel.jpg

XkmyDAfl.jpg

iFqg1MUl.jpg

DnjkjDWl.jpg

• 1 month later...

@bugeyes: could you share some photos of your machine with this Alu Rack and hard case, because these from the old post are no longer available 😞

I'm considering this rack but there's not much photos of real bikes with it.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:18 AM, shinyribs said:

My luggage rack extension failed over the weekend. The quick turn fasteners just gave up. I never noticed they were only made of aluminum! Not a lot of fun when your luggage just falls off the bike going down the road. I see now that the new Street Rack uses a different attachment point, which they admit is stronger the the previous version I am (was?) using. I am talking with SWMotech now to see what my options are. I would definitely buy the Street Rack with the new,revised attachment system if I was shopping now. 

What isn't severely damaged(deep gouges) is fully broken. :( 

AoEKOVel.jpg

XkmyDAfl.jpg

iFqg1MUl.jpg

DnjkjDWl.jpg

@shinyribs, what case were you using with the rack?  How much weight?  Was there a single hard hit that may have caused the failure or do you believe it was from a lot of rough roads while case was loaded?

Those fasteners failing are a known failure point. SW Motech has abandoned that design and replaced it with the new Street Rack. I contacted them about it and they are in the process of replacing it all. They sent me a new luggage rack already, but they didn't have the extension plate in stock, so I'm still waiting on that. 

I can't remember what all I've hauled on that rack, but it was never anything much or a hard top box. Usually a hiking backpack strapped on there or something similar. 

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Those fasteners failing are a known failure point. SW Motech has abandoned that design and replaced it with the new Street Rack. I contacted them about it and they are in the process of replacing it all. They sent me a new luggage rack already, but they didn't have the extension plate in stock, so I'm still waiting on that. 

I can't remember what all I've hauled on that rack, but it was never anything much or a hard top box. Usually a hiking backpack strapped on there or something similar. 

Interesting.  Will have to remove my top box and adapter plate to inspect...would hate to have my setup fly off when running down the road.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, Soul_Man said:

@bugeyes: could you share some photos of your machine with this Alu Rack and hard case, because these from the old post are no longer available 😞

I'm considering this rack but there's not much photos of real bikes with it.

OK, found a couple in my phone...

20161015_123223.jpg.3c84c9c8713bb6f1d2dba205240b87ec.jpg20161015_123335.thumb.jpg.17b0366837cfb09e4ee15f4db74fb6a4.jpg

Thank you! I'm convinced to order one.

Looks really good. The rack is not too high over the seat like the genuine or others and therefore the whole bike looks more consistent with the case.  I can see that there's a place, so the case mounting plate can be moved a little closer to the driver?

What capacity of the case is it? About 35l?