The MT-07 Forum

Akra Carbon Exhaust Leak

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

Anyone with this system have carbon build up on the underside of all the slip together joints? I do on the one where the can meets the loop and where the loop meets the y pipe. But nothing where the y pipe meets the header and nothing by the block and header.

I also have some carbon build up where the can is riveted together. I don't know what the deal is, system was purchased new. I supposed I could take everything apart and use a high temp gasket sealer but there's nothing I can do for the can itself...

Seems like the slip together pieces would almost always have a slight leak, but it's rather annoying on something I don't even have 1,000 miles on...

Anyone with this system have carbon build up on the underside of all the slip together joints? I do on the one where the can meets the loop and where the loop meets the y pipe. But nothing where the y pipe meets the header and nothing by the block and header.  
I also have some carbon build up where the can is riveted together. I don't know what the deal is, system was purchased new. I supposed I could take everything apart and use a high temp gasket sealer but there's nothing I can do for the can itself...

Seems like the slip together pieces would almost always have a slight leak, but it's rather annoying on something I don't even have 1,000 miles on...
Yup, I got the same thing. From. What I understand, it's normal. But then again, I could be wrong....

Guest ChicagoAJ

Neat-o. We should've got the titanium, lol. Thanks for confirming. I'm not going to waste my time pulling it all apart to seal it. As long as it's not leaking at the beginning of the header I'm ok with it.

Neat-o. We should've got the titanium, lol. Thanks for confirming. I'm not going to waste my time pulling it all apart to seal it. As long as it's not leaking at the beginning of the header I'm ok with it.
I figured as long as the bike is running well, and sound good... Is what ever lol

bmwpowere36m3

Same here. Considering the joints have no gaskets and tolerances in pipe fit... I'm not surprised. As long as there are no exhaust gas leaks (especially at the header) it'll be fine. Eventually carbon will fill those gaps.

To test for leaks, I place a wet towel over the muffler outlet to increase pressure in the system, which makes hearing any leaks easier. I'll also take a small tissue and move it around/near all the joints... looking for any movement of the tissue (indicating a leak).

Guest ChicagoAJ
Same here. Considering the joints have no gaskets and tolerances in pipe fit... I'm not surprised. As long as there are no exhaust gas leaks (especially at the header) it'll be fine. Eventually carbon will fill those gaps. 
To test for leaks, I place a wet towel over the muffler outlet to increase pressure in the system, which makes hearing any leaks easier. I'll also take a small tissue and move it around/near all the joints... looking for any movement of the tissue (indicating a leak).
I like to use a campfire lighter or one that has an extended reach. I go into my garage and close all the doors and hold the flame near the block/header and if it moves there's a leak (haven't seen the flame move at all yet). If I ever do get an actual leak up there, I suppose I'll replace the header gaskets but I don't think that will happen, I'm sure I'd notice a leak up there anyway as a leak there would really have a loud ticking (even those these bikes tick like crazy to begin with).  
I emailed Akrapovic to see what they said and they claimed it's not normal and their systems should be 100% leak free. I'm not convinced if we all have the same issue. I'm not going to bother with pursuing it any further. 

nxezd.jpg

I like to use a campfire lighter or one that has an extended reach. I go into my garage and close all the doors and hold the flame near the block/header and if it moves there's a leak (haven't seen the flame move at all yet). If I ever do get an actual leak up there, I suppose I'll replace the header gaskets but I don't think that will happen, I'm sure I'd notice a leak up there anyway as a leak there would really have a loud ticking (even those these bikes tick like crazy to begin with).  
I emailed Akrapovic to see what they said and they claimed it's not normal and their systems should be 100% leak free. I'm not convinced if we all have the same issue. I'm not going to bother with pursuing it any further. 

nxezd.jpg
I don't believe them also. Maybe we can try getting the parts to fit tighter?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Not worth it, the only actual solution would be to just weld all the seams, I don't know why they didn't just do that from the beginning - the stock system is all one piece. Easier install I would assume.

But like @bmwpowere36m3 said, they'll fill up with carbon after a while and seal themselves.

The pipe joints: Did you use something like copper grease when you assembled the joints. It helps seal them and any carbon will furthur seal it. Also stops the vibration wearing a bigger tolerence.
Can joints is another matter. Shouldn't be happening on a new bought system. You could try adding new pop-rivets between the existing ones ( ie double the rivets). Use stainless or monel ones and they will stay looking good.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Guest ChicagoAJ
The pipe joints: Did you use something like copper grease when you assembled the joints. It helps seal them and any carbon will furthur seal it. Also stops the vibration wearing a bigger tolerence. Can joints is another matter. Shouldn't be happening on a new bought system. You could try adding new pop-rivets between the existing ones ( ie double the rivets). Use stainless or monel ones and they will stay looking good.
Nope, instructions didn't call for any type of seal to be added so I didn't want to go pick any up - plus my stock system was already off and my car wasn't near the garage I was using. Wasn't about to put the stock system back on, haha. 

My Akra came with a little sachet of copper grease for the joints. I don't know if it was the Aussie dealer or usually in there. I usually use Tefgel, copper grease or aluminium grease for the joints.
Stock system on almost any bike will look and sound like crap. That's the way of the world. I perticularly love it in bike reviews where the reviewer says things like, " I like the look of the new exhaust" or " it's a better looking mufflerthis year" and it REALLY ISN'T! Saw that on a recent Kawasaki review and thought " I have a female friend with some weight issues that may be the girl for you"

'

Guest ChicagoAJ
My Akra came with a little sachet of copper grease for the joints. I don't know if it was the Aussie dealer or usually in there. I usually use Tefgel, copper grease or aluminium grease for the joints. Stock system on almost any bike will look and sound like crap. That's the way of the world. I perticularly love it in bike reviews where the reviewer says things like, " I like the look of the new exhaust" or " it's a better looking mufflerthis year" and it REALLY ISN'T! Saw that on a recent Kawasaki review and thought " I have a female friend with some weight issues that may be the girl for you"

'
I got that too, but in the instructions it was only specified to be used for the 02 sensor threads. There wasn't much, barely enough for that connection.  
My leaks aren't huge - and I wouldn't even call them leaks necessarily. One wipe with my finger and all the black soot is removed, but I still wish they made the system one piece. Tiny bit harder install, but well worth it in the long run. 

Guest ChicagoAJ

I just lost a lot of respect for RevZilla in regards to how they handled my question about this. Why should I have to take it to a shop and get it verified that it's leaking when it's literally leaking at the very end of the exhaust (the muffler can itself). They want me to spend most likely an hour of shop time somewhere for them to diagnose exactly what I've already done and to make sure the system is installed correctly... Ridiculous. You would think pictures would be enough. I already have no desire to remedy this since it's such a small issue, but I don't think they're going about this the right way.

The exhaust simply wouldn't even be able to be assembled if anything wasn't put together properly. But since this is probably their way of getting out of returns/exchanges (I'm guessing hardly anyone would actually do it), his last line is right on par and he knows it won't come to that.

21e53eg.jpg

Rant over.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I just lost a lot of respect for RevZilla in regards to how they handled my question about this. Why should I have to take it to a shop and get it verified that it's leaking when it's literally leaking at the very end of the exhaust (the muffler can itself). They want me to spend most likely an hour of shop time somewhere for them to diagnose exactly what I've already done and to make sure the system is installed correctly... Ridiculous. You would think pictures would be enough. I already have no desire to remedy this since it's such a small issue, but I don't think they're going about this the right way.  
The exhaust simply wouldn't even be able to be assembled if anything wasn't put together properly. But since this is probably their way of getting out of returns/exchanges (I'm guessing hardly anyone would actually do it), his last line is right on par and he knows it won't come to that.

21e53eg.jpg

Rant over.
Not to be an ass, but I don't understand the rant here. You already admit that this isn't really an issue that you're going to do anything with (because of how minor it is). Revzilla reps don't know you, and the averages on self-installed motorcycle parts probably favors installation error. 30mins for a free diagnosis (least it should be free) likely helps plenty of first-time installers (which isn't you, but again Revzilla doesn't know you. Ask me about the time I went to shop to get a new clip for a chain master-link to be told that my master-link wasn't a clip type). Having a mechanic verify that something besides installation is causing an issue is extra ammo if a return is pursued. Plus, if you really wanted to pursue this, all you need to do is snap some pictures and say that you had it inspected.

Admittedly if I got a complaint that an exhaust was leaking carbon at the rivets on the can, my first course of action would be to request some pictures, but I also understand why Revzilla would suggest taking it to a mech.

Guest ChicagoAJ

21e53eg.jpg

Rant over.
Not to be an ass, but I don't understand the rant here. You already admit that this isn't really an issue that you're going to do anything with (because of how minor it is). Revzilla reps don't know you, and the averages on self-installed motorcycle parts probably favors installation error. 30mins for a free diagnosis (least it should be free) likely helps plenty of first-time installers (which isn't you, but again Revzilla doesn't know you. Ask me about the time I went to shop to get a new clip for a chain master-link to be told that my master-link wasn't a clip type). Having a mechanic verify that something besides installation is causing an issue is extra ammo if a return is pursued. Plus, if you really wanted to pursue this, all you need to do is snap some pictures and say that you had it inspected.  
Admittedly if I got a complaint that an exhaust was leaking carbon at the rivets on the can, my first course of action would be to request some pictures, but I also understand why Revzilla would suggest taking it to a mech.

I sent pictures in the first email. I didn't have to piece together and rivet the can together in order for the installation, so why should I have to pay a mechanic to diagnose something that I already did. My installation has absolutely zero to do with the can leaking. It would be my fault if it was leaking from header gaskets because they were blown out, but that's not the case. It's leaking from the slip together joints and most importantly, a can with less than 1,000 miles on it. That's not normal.  
And no shop around will look at anything for free, at least around here. I've never had a shop do anything for free - my local dealer was going to charge me 94 bucks to diagnose my oil leak from the weep hole before Yamaha accepted the warranty claim. Simply telling RevZilla I had inspected most likely wouldn't be enough, they'd probably want to see a receipt or be given the number to the shop I had the exhaust inspected at. 

The picture below is what mine looked like before I cleaned it (the picture is not mine, just a general picture from google when I searched Akrapovic Carbon exhaust leak). You really think that needs to be brought to a shop to be inspected by a mechanic? 

25786d1458352267-about-arkapovic-titanium-exhaust-leaking-img_4414.jpg

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I sent pictures in the first email. I didn't have to piece together and rivet the can together in order for the installation, so why should I have to pay a mechanic to diagnose something that I already did. My installation has absolutely zero to do with the can leaking. It would be my fault if it was leaking from header gaskets because they were blown out, but that's not the case. It's leaking from the slip together joints and most importantly, a can with less than 1,000 miles on it. That's not normal.  
The picture below is what mine looked like before I cleaned it (the picture is not mine, just a general picture from google when I searched Akrapovic Carbon exhaust leak). You really think that needs to be brought to a shop to be inspected by a mechanic? 

25786d1458352267-about-arkapovic-titanium-exhaust-leaking-img_4414.jpg
If that's the picture I got, then no, I likely wouldn't suggest having a mechanic look at it. That's a weird leak. But then I don't deal with hundreds of emails a day asking about part issues, nor do I have to serve as a go between on potential returns.

I get that you're irked, but I also see why Revzilla would suggest the mech. I wouldn't lose any respect for the company over it. Again, if you really wanted to pursue it you just say you had it inspected and it checked out.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Lol, I sent about 5 pictures I took. The whole installation, every slip together joint, and a couple pictures of the leak on the can. That's the first email I received, he didn't even acknowledge the pictures. Not a huge deal, but if that's the way they handle every claim that requires installation - definitely going to take my business elsewhere.

Hi, a mirror I ordered didn't fit as advertised.

"Ok, can you take it to a mechanic to ensure you're using the mirror in the right spot and it's not installed inside-out?"

Like I said, just a bad way to go about things when they were given the pictures right off the bat and it's obvious something isn't right.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Lol, I sent about 5 pictures I took. The whole installation, every slip together joint, and a couple pictures of the leak on the can. That's the first email I received, he didn't even acknowledge the pictures. Not a huge deal, but if that's the way they handle every claim that requires installation - definitely going to take my business elsewhere. 

Hi, a mirror I ordered didn't fit as advertised.

"Ok, can you take it to a mechanic to ensure you're using the mirror in the right spot and it's not installed inside-out?"

Like I said, just a bad way to go about things when they were given the pictures right off the bat and it's obvious something isn't right.
Well that changes things. The rant post made it seem like you hadn't sent any pictures yet. If you already sent a bunch of pictures my followup email would be something along the lines of "Wait. You'd need additional pictures, or better pictures, or what? Just want to clarify here."  
My experience with Revzilla's customer service has always been excellent. I've had to return multiple items, cancel orders, modify orders, deal with package theft and they've treated me better that I expected. Hopefully this was an anomaly or some kind of mix-up.

pineappleunderthesea

I just checked mine and it doesn't have any evidence of a leak in any of the joints. The thing probably has 1000 or 1500 miles on it, I think.

Would a pipe slightly out of round cause this? But then you'd think that if that was the case, it wouldn't have fit on the exhaust.

Differential shrinkage in one of the pipes? Can that happen the metal on the can is from a different batch than the rest of the exhaust (I'm grasping at straws here, I know about different plastics shrinking, but nada on steel). I wonder if they could track down those batches to see if there were issues?

As for Revzilla, the only hiccup I've ever had was with a helmet, the visor wouldn't seal properly when shut (it would leave a gap on one of the sides). I had to send a whole bunch of pics to explain the issue, and I think they had to take that to the helmet rep....in the end if was resolved, but there are some items where they seem to really push back

**edit:  I really meant "expansion" instead of shrinkage, as in differences in CLTE (coefficient of linear thermal expansion)

Guest ChicagoAJ
I just checked mine and it doesn't have any evidence of a leak in any of the joints. The thing probably has 1000 or 1500 miles on it, I think. 
Would a pipe slightly out of round cause this? But then you'd think that if that was the case, it wouldn't have fit on the exhaust.

Differential shrinkage in one of the pipes? Can that happen the metal on the can is from a different batch than the rest of the exhaust (I'm grasping at straws here, I know about different plastics shrinking, but nada on steel). I wonder if they could track down those batches to see if there were issues?

As for Revzilla, the only hiccup I've ever had was with a helmet, the visor wouldn't seal properly when shut (it would leave a gap on one of the sides). I had to send a whole bunch of pics to explain the issue, and I think they had to take that to the helmet rep....in the end if was resolved, but there are some items where they seem to really push back

**edit:  I really meant "expansion" instead of shrinkage, as in differences in CLTE (coefficient of linear thermal expansion)
The pipes fit together pretty smoothly and snug. But there's no way simply sliding two pieces of metal pipe together would create an air tight seal.  
I haven't heard back from RevZilla yet, but I don't plan to take it any further. Just frustrated is all. 

• Premium Member

To me it looks like the end cap has a slight dent in it where the rivet band is letting some exhaust push the condesation build up out...you could drill out rivets...rubber hammer the dent flat and rivet it back together...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest ChicagoAJ
To me it looks like the end cap has a slight dent in it where the rivet band is letting some exhaust push the condesation build up out...you could drill out rivets...rubber hammer the dent flat and rivet it back together...
Not my picture, just an example I got off google. Mine isn't that bad (yet). Hoping the carbon builds up enough to seal it off. 

bmwpowere36m3

I should clarify... on my Akra Carbon there's evidence of very, very small carbon stains on the undersides of the exhaust pipe joints (post-collector and muffler inlet).  I used the supplied copper anti-seize on all the joints as well.  I do not have any leaks on the muffler can itself, nor should you.
It shouldn't "leak"... however if all the joints pass the flame test, then I wouldn't worry about a very, very minute leak.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I should clarify... on my Akra Carbon there's evidence of very, very small carbon stains on the undersides of the exhaust pipe joints (post-collector and muffler inlet).  I used the supplied copper anti-seize on all the joints as well.  I do not have any leaks on the muffler can itself, nor should you.
It shouldn't "leak"... however if all the joints pass the flame test, then I wouldn't worry about a very, very minute leak.

Never tested the joints with a flame, just the header - that's the only area I'm concerned about. The can itself however, Akrapovic themselves said that should definitely not be happening and emailed RevZilla directly with me CC'ed. I got an email from RevZilla today, apparently they tracked down my pictures and first email and said they're waiting to hear back from Akrapovic on if the whole system should be swapped or just the can.  
I'm just doing the can even if they send a whole new system. 

Those rivets have not been popped properly. The bits where the rivets are should be the CLOSEST join. They are the biggest gap. It should be leaking BETWEEN the rivets. They are not gripped in properly ( ie the flare behind the metal is too far away.)

Archived