The MT-07 Forum

Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

rowdy

• Premium Member

Back in April I ordered a Laam Custom Seat.  I finally received it a couple weeks ago and I thought I'd post a little review.
First, here are some pictures...
[attachment id=1823" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1824" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1822" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1825" thumbnail="1]

First...  Before he made it, Seth Laam called me and talked with me on the phone for a long time finding out exactly what I wanted, my dimensions, my riding style etc...   He seems like a great guy that cares deeply about his customers.
In our conversation, he said a few things that stuck out... (not verbatim, but as close as I can recall).

Vinyl is better than leather for motorcycles seats because it resists weather and sun better, and he uses best of class marine grade vinyl.
How you stick to the seat material isn't nearly as important as having a seat that balances you on the bike.  You should be able to move around, but the texture of the material shouldn't be as important.
Gel foam is not that great, and is mainly a sales gimmick.
If it doesn't fit ,you will know within a few days, and if it doesn't, you can call him and make it right.  Other people say give it 30 days to "break in" and call back, and what they are telling you is go away for 30 days, and I hope you don't call back.
This is my direct cell phone number and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me directly.

Well, now I've ridden it for a few hundred miles (not long excursions yet), and I can tell you it is very much better than stock.  I feel balanced on the seat, and I'm not sinking in.  The front is build up slightly to prevent forward slide. It also has a little extra build up forward of the main seat area that provides a little support for the legs. That provides some extra support that feels great in the seat.  The one minor negative is that those built up areas can be felt at a stop when putting the legs down (not a big deal, but can be felt).
The quality of the materials and workmanship are fantastic.  The FZ-07 seat and passenger seat all are covered in the cost of the "Solo" seat type in his pricing guide.
Overall I'm very happy and can't wait to do an epic road trip.

Also... I had to wait a lot longer than originally quoted, but I feel like it was well worth it.  I picked up a scuffed lightly used seat on ebay for cheap, so I was not without a seat, but if I were not in that position, I might not have been quite as happy.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I like the looks of the Yamaha comfy seat better, but I'll bet my butt would like a Laam seat much better.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

• Premium Member

Seems like money well spent! Looks really good too.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Looks nice, maybe built up a little too high on the outside (taking on a cruiser look) but what's the price? I used to put both feet down when I first got my bike and it hurt the insides of my legs after an hour or so of doing that every time I came to a stop so I got the ingenious (derp) idea to stop doing it. Ha, now I just put one leg down and lean over to that side a little while keeping the other foot on the peg. It takes the pressure off the inside/underside of the leg and no more pain/discomfort. Have you tried that? 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Looks nice, maybe built up a little too high on the outside (taking on a cruiser look) but what's the price? I used to put both feet down when I first got my bike and it hurt the insides of my legs after an hour or so of doing that every time I came to a stop so I got the ingenious (derp) idea to stop doing it. Ha, now I just put one leg down and lean over to that side a little while keeping the other foot on the peg. It takes the pressure off the inside/underside of the leg and no more pain/discomfort. Have you tried that? 
Price was 350, but the price might have gone up according to his web site (probably due to the demand / time of year). I agree it has a different look to it (maybe a little cruiser-ish), but I kinda like it.  As far as putting feet down, it isn't enough of a discomfort to worry about. I sometimes put one foot down, sometimes two, sometimes I switch feet (if I wanna keep the rear brake on on an incline).  Fortunately, I'm not inseam challenged so it's easy.  I can imagine if someone was at the limit with the stock seat, it might be a problem, but I'm sure Seth took all of that into account when he made it.  He knew I could flat foot it at a stop, and would not be bothered by a little extra height.

Price was 350, but the price might have gone up according to his web site (probably due to the demand / time of year).I agree it has a different look to it (maybe a little cruiser-ish), but I kinda like it.  As far as putting feet down, it isn't enough of a discomfort to worry about. I sometimes put one foot down, sometimes two, sometimes I switch feet (if I wanna keep the rear brake on on an incline).  Fortunately, I'm not inseam challenged so it's easy.  I can imagine if someone was at the limit with the stock seat, it might be a problem, but I'm sure Seth took all of that into account when he made it.  He knew I could flat foot it at a stop, and would not be bothered by a little extra height.

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to something you said, "The one minor negative is that those built up areas can be felt at a stop when putting the legs down (not a big deal, but can be felt). " I was thinking that if some build up is supporting your legs a little while cruising but irritating them when you put them down at a stop then leaning the bike to one side and keeping one foot on the peg should take a lot of pressure off the backs/insides of both legs. At least it did for me. 
Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/5826/laam-custom-motorcycle-seats#ixzz4CgyFr0Gg

Beemer

• Premium Member
I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to something you said... 

I was trying to respond to that.  The forward build up would be more of a problem if I had short legs, and yes, I would probably have to lean the bike and use one foot down. 

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to something you said... 

I was trying to respond to that.  The forward build up would be more of a problem if I had short legs, and yes, I would probably have to lean the bike and use one foot down.
That's cool, I overlooked the part where you said it isn't enough of a discomfort to worry about. Sorry I troubled you. 

Beemer

That's cool, I overlooked the part where you said it isn't enough of a discomfort to worry about. Sorry I troubled you. 

No trouble at all! BTW, got 250 miles in today with a lot of canyon carving.  The seat is fantastic! 

Awesome! Wolf Creek looks pretty nice! I didn't ride one foot today. I went to a place called Aces yesterday and got stiff & sore by the batting cage, the driving range and from having to do 10 push-ups (the going bet) every time I came in last. It was fun but I think I'll stick to 9 ball and riding until I get in better shape.

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe

Looks great. I am glad it still retains the separate pieces for seating instead of the fat/ugly Corbin 1-piece

http://corbin.com/yamaha/yfz714gl_2t.jpg

The front part is a little odd but I'm sure no one will notice when you are riding it. I don't find myself really sliding forward as I am basically half on the rear-seat when I ride lol but I'd have to try it out to see how much of an effect that buildup has. I'd like it with blurple stitching.

Have you tried it with a passenger? I want to know if the passenger seat has any noticeable difference from before.

• Premium Member
Looks great. I am glad it still retains the separate pieces for seating instead of the fat/ugly Corbin 1-piece 
http://corbin.com/yamaha/yfz714gl_2t.jpg

The front part is a little odd but I'm sure no one will notice when you are riding it. I don't find myself really sliding forward as I am basically half on the rear-seat when I ride lol but I'd have to try it out to see how much of an effect that buildup has. I'd like it with blurple stitching.

Have you tried it with a passenger? I want to know if the passenger seat has any noticeable difference from before.
I haven't tried it with a passenger.  Did you notice I removed the rear pegs and brackets? :)  That perch doesn't look very comfortable to begin with though so it might be an improvement.  I thought about burple stitching, but it is a hard color to match, so I just went with graphite. 

• 2 months later...

Archived