The MT-07 Forum

Clutch cable wear

Redstang4

Was just sitting outside and looking at my bike and noticed the clutch cable. It looks like the cable is rubbing against the adjustment screw it goes through directly above the case, on the top of the wire. I have put on 3500 miles in the last 6 or so weeks. Anybody else notice or have this, or do I need to be concerned and adjust it somehow?
cf9a7460abd19433924c094cfc2431a9.jpg
To the right of the line is the wear on the topside of the cable where it looks to be rubbing on the inside of the screw when pulling in and letting out the clutch.

Guest Ralph

Mine is close but not touching,
without being brutal you could likely
push the lever attached to the engine
down just a touch. Or by loosening the
nuts move the cable in it's bracket just
enough to get clearance.
Try the nuts first.

Mine doesn't touch either.

One thing I see different is the number of threads showing between the locknut and the end of that threaded tube. I've only 10 threads showing where, Redstang, you have 13.

You could give some slack up at the lever and then take it back out down at the clutch That would move that tube further away from where the actuation lever is and might help with cable clearance.

other than those things that Ralph suggested, a nice coat of grease or maybe even find a way to slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the cable from that end.

• Premium Member

Put a pair of pliers on the brackets where the cable goes through it and give a twist.
Or, quit being so paranoid. :)
Mine does the same thing, 11k miles.

- Andy

Archived