Guest unknown

Guest unknown
Difficulty: Easy

Tools required:
5mm Hex wrench (2)
Blue Loctite

Front Installation
C5D5F8D7-2DAD-4BDE-8FFA-6161C46AE996_zpsv5d38pej.jpg

Apply the blue loctite to the shorter bolt (30mm) and insert it through the recessed slider (the left one in the photo above).
0980061A-2FDB-47EE-A228-2B487DF5F6AC_zpsxmnkemnw.jpgAttach it to the gold rod and tighten it done with the 5 mm hex wrench. Do not overtighten the bolt.

EC2FD28E-12A7-4E45-87A9-E0C262379B57_zpszzatteyk.jpgInsert the rod through the right side of the bike (throttle side).
2B3C5189-D7F9-4373-90C6-36D568FD3BF4_zpsuflqfshw.jpgApply blue loctite to the other bolt (70 mm) and insert it into the remaining slider. Thread the bolt by hand into the left side and then tighten both bolts down. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE TO TIGHTEN THEM DOWN. They can shear if too much force is applied.
049F283A-1212-4952-9863-843CB26C9FCC_zpsfhqto7qd.jpg

Guest unknown
REAR

Apply the blue loctite to the either rear bolt (60mm) and insert it through the extended slider
F0ECF62E-B6BB-4018-A7B3-92C60902E563_zps4pxghi7d.jpg
Attach it to the silver rod (It is the longer of the two rods)and tighten it done with the 5 mm hex wrench. Do not overtighten
71288722-E602-40EC-9188-C071E7B704C2_zpsfemymuc6.jpg
Insert the rod through the right side of the bike (throttle side).
C59C2290-3B40-4E4A-B4D8-49D768447449_zps4sjwemmj.jpg
Apply blue loctite to the other rear bolt (60 mm) and insert it into the remaining slider. Thread the bolt by hand into the left side and then tighten both bolts down. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE TO TIGHTEN THEM DOWN. They can shear if too much force is applied.
BB36F954-B5E6-469A-B3D5-EA8E4E62715B_zpsaiysjjtx.jpg
184F1ED7-AF83-4AE4-B64B-C2D1A14353E1_zpsxbcomj1o.jpg

• Global Moderator

Nice write-up. I get the impression that you can shear the bolt if you over tighten them :).

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question perhaps, but I noticed the rear set cover the axle nut completely. Of course the slider will have to be removed to loosen it. I've never used thread locker before, so when I want to adjust the chain slack, will the slider bolt yield without applying a crazy amount of force?

Guest unknown

It should, the thread locker is there only to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. There shouldn't be an issue with getting them off.

• Global Moderator

Just make sure you use the blue Loc-tite. It is designed to come apart again. Yamaha actually uses it on the foot peg feelers and it was no problem removing them.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I have the OES rear axle spool/sliders and I suggest that when putting the right side (brake side) spool on the rod, that it be done with RED Locktite instead of blue.

Why:
The rod doesn't go all the way through the axle; It stops about an inch short on the left side. The rod can't be pulled out of the axle from the left side because the axle's inside diameter gets smaller than the rod in that last inch.

Possible problem:
When removing the left spool for chain adjustment or wheel removal; If the right side spool bolt becomes loose before the left side bolt is removed, what happens is, turning the left bolt also turns the rod inside the axle. There isn't enough friction inside the axle to keep the rod from turning to get the bolt out. The other end of the rod (right side) sits flush with the end of the axle making it almost impossible to grab it hard enough to get the left side bolt out.

Solution:
Since the rod can always be pulled out from the right side, it's good insurance to make sure the right spool bolt stays tightly on the rod permanently.

Just to give an update on quixote's suggestion, my sliders just came in today and OES recommends the same procedure.

Direct quote from instructions included with rear slider components: "Caution!!: Use medium strength (blue) thread locker on left screw (chain side) & permanent strength on right screw (brake side)."

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

So I went to install mine today that I got, and the front fork sliders are giving me issues. The frame sliders and rear sliders went on in like 2 minutes. The front rod doesn't go all the way through, but with a rubber mallet it does. However, it seems as the front rod they supply is too long or something. When the sliders themselves are tightened, they don't look like the photo above....they each stick out like 1 inch? Am I missing something stupid, or should I contact OES?

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• Global Moderator

Thant doesn't look right.I am thinking OES shipped the wrong rod. When I installed mine, it took no time at all and it was a (close to) perfect pit. Nice and flush, no issues. And I didn't use a mallet to tap it in.

I went one step further to assue the correct bolt is removed on my OES sliders. On the bolt on the side that should stay in place so it can be removed along with the slider and rod, I installed the slider and bolt on the rod then drilled a small hole through the rod and bolt. I drilled the hole just large enough to accept a cut off piece of pop rivet rod. After drilling the hole through both, I took a larger drill and made a slight countersink hole on each side of the rod itself. I then placed the pop rivet rod through both the rod and bolt and placed it in a vice, squishing the extra length of the pop rivet rod into the countersunk portions of aluminum rod. I finished by tapping it almost flush with the rod by using a small hammer and then filed it so it did not protrude out passed the diameter of the alminum rod. Now I never after to worry about the wrong bolt loosening up.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag384/riverfox3/Mobile%20Uploads/20150131_221220_zpsc2xzfh7u.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Quick question for those of you who installed these -- do the spools work well with a Pitbull rear stand?

Archived