The MT-07 Forum

Bar-end mirrors

Greenhound386

• Premium Member

Could you guys post up some pics of how you got these to work, im a little confused on the spacer idea.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I took mine off because the one side was loose and I was not impressed by the fact you can't really tighten it without removing the mirror glass. But...

They come with different spacers, a smaller diameter one and a larger one. Don't use the larger one. Install the smaller spacer with the slots facing into the handle bar and the cone-shaped tapered nut with the large end facing into the bars. Then, just slide it into the bar and tighten it. It'll clamp down pretty good - I had to wrestle with it to get it back out when I removed mine.

hVgCUMil.jpg

You can see from the photo how the clamping works.  As you tighten it, the tapered nut spreads the spacer outwards.  

Hope that helps! 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Got ya, thanks man, i'll see how it works outs.

• Premium Member

I've installed bar end mirrors together with Bikemaster bars (no internal threads) on a couple of my bikes. I always drill the new bars for the location nubs inside the switch housings and never just grind off the nubs.

On one of the bikes, I used the mirror's internal expansion hardware to mount them and couldn't have bar end weights. On the other bike, I clamped the mirrors directly to the bars and used the internal expansion hardware that came with the mirrors to mount the stock bar end weights.

The mirrors installed using the internal expansion hardware occasionally needed to be tightened up; still a reasonably good set up though.

The mirrors installed by clamping directly to the bars allowed me to forget about them entirely. They stayed in adjustment and never moved or loosened up after thousands of miles.

These are the mirrors that I've used. They're good quality and the mirror body is one piece:

BikeMaster Folding Bar End Mirror.
49156_1.jpg

• Premium Member

Got the left side on no problem using the stock bar ends and a washer I made from an old bicycle handlebar, but the throttle side I need to pick up another piece of tubing. I can see what has to be done, I just don't have the correct diameter for it.

• Premium Member

So ended up just using the same spacer as the left side but just moved the mirror towards the bar end more and it works great, I really like how much more visibility I have now.

nLoDM5A.jpg

Looks great!

I totally agree about the better visibility... Not having half the view taken up by your arms and also the extra field of view from the mirror being convex is great.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 1 month later...
9f52618334ade2ba162dbc9a0e483019.jpg

Here's a pic of the spacer I made like the OP suggested. I got a 1/2" coupler from Home Depot and cut it in half with a pipe cutter. One half on each bar end. And I took a bar end with me to make sure it fit perfectly over the threads.

• 3 weeks later...
Greenhound386

Oscar: you rock! I dropped the ball on posting pics. Mine look exactly the same as yours. Well done.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

Oscar: you rock! I dropped the ball on posting pics. Mine look exactly the same as yours. Well done.

I also added blue loctite to make sure it doesn't come loose and I've had no problems whatsoever with them.

• Premium Member

@pok3yiii No these do not fit. I bought almost the same ones. They will not work with the bar ends themselves...you can mount them "on top" of the bar end though, by removing all the "cool/colored" hardware.....not super ultra sturdy though. I ended up sending mine back

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

@pok3yiii No these do not fit. I bought almost the same ones. They will not work with the bar ends themselves...you can mount them "on top" of the bar end though, by removing all the "cool/colored" hardware.....not super ultra sturdy though. I ended up sending mine back
damn, i want that style of mirror but none of them fit 

• 2 weeks later...

I get them from ebay but they don't fit like plug and play. So i made a piece on the lathe. Please don't ask about the piece because my english not enough for that. Lol sorry..

• 1 year later...
Here's a pic of the spacer I made like the OP suggested. I got a 1/2" coupler from Home Depot and cut it in half with a pipe cutter. One half on each bar end. And I took a bar end with me to make sure it fit perfectly over the threads.

So this would help with the mirror rotating with the throttle?

https://vimeo.com/164338189

booboobusfz07

You definitely need a bit more explanation bud. How are they mounted now exactly?

Guest ChicagoAJ
You definitely need a bit more explanation bud. How are they mounted now exactly?
Looks like they're just clamped to the stock bar end weights. Literally laughed out loud when I watched that video. 

• Premium Member
Looks like they're just clamped to the stock bar end weights. Literally laughed out loud when I watched that video. 

The stock bar end weights don't rotate with the throttle. Those are clamped to the throttle grip or tube.

- Andy

Guest ChicagoAJ
The stock bar end weights don't rotate with the throttle. Those are clamped to the throttle grip or tube.
Either way, I got a good chuckle out of that quick video. I've wanted bar end mirrors since I got the bike, but the cheap ones seem like too much of a pain and the expensive ones, well... $$$  
I can't justify spending 150+ for mirrors that I hardly ever use unless I'm stopped to make sure I'm not going to get run over at a light. 

Had to replace one of my CRG Arrow mirrors. Hurt my butt when I ordered it. $100 a piece is silly, but the quality is top-notch.

I've got a replica set of CRG Arrow's that I ordered off eBay, $40 and ended up getting a partial refund on them because I had expected more. They're not horrible, but nowhere near the same quality as CRG.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Picked up those cheap $10 bar ends on Amazon. I don't want to shell out for Rhinomoto adapters so I just put the mirrors on the narrow portion of the stock bar ends and used blue Loctite to get the bar ends to stay put but not have the mirror clamp interfere with the throttle grip. Hopefully they don't fly right off on the highway... if they do, I guess i'll be out $10 and I'll just have to get the adapters after all! Not having the bar ends torqued properly upsets me but what other option do I have?? Those stock mirrors are unacceptable!!

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Archived