The MT-07 Forum

SHIFTER and REAR brake adjustments

caliesv

Not sure where to stick this, but please move if need be.

So long story short, ridding the fz-07 home from the dealer, I noticed I was forcing my "thick" ridding boot between the peg and shifter causing a major delay in my shift timing. So naturally it was time for some adjustments ☺. I haven't found much on this topic, so I figured I'd share. If your having issues with focusing too much on trying to shift read this.

Another issue I was having during my first commute, was a "squishy" feeling with the rear brake. I was pushing the rear brake forward way to far for my liking. So I also adjusted this also.

These first set of pictures shows the rear brake and what to adjust:

313830d48d7bcc095c1d7b3814bb28b0.jpg

4382e9e4cf4c008dea2629cb64ff2269.jpg

The top nut is a 10mm, bottom 12mm.
Losen the bottom nut, and use the top to adjust to your liking. You will notice the brake lever rise or lower depending which way you turn the top nut. After adjusting, make sure the bottom nut is nice and snug.

These pictures are for the shifter lever:

65d82cfa3e061c67bbade844d4181eb5.jpg5be18a1c7875886ec8c3781be6cd7bdf.jpg

Both nuts are a 10mm. Losen both nuts and turn the long silver rod either way (lever up or down) until it's to your liking. Make sure you snug them both up before riding. ☺ changing both these levers made my ride 100% more pleasant and safer.

Any questions please ask!

If I remember correctly the lower lock nut on the shifter has reverse threads.
I honestly forget lol but they shouldn't be so tight someone would have trouble figuring it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem with the length of the gearbox shifter. It does not seem long enough and no room for my feet. I need to know if there is one available that is an inch longer? If not I may get it extended.

• Premium Member

I have not seen such a product yet. Try hitting up @rotaryryan24 he's a vendor here with mad fabrication skills. Might be able to extend it for you.

Everything went braap.

I am having a problem with the length of the gearbox shifter. It does not seem long enough and no room for my feet. I need to know if there is one available that is an inch longer? If not I may get it extended.
What size boot do you wear?

I was able to fix it by straightening the lever, and that gave me the length I needed. I wear an 11 boot, but the big problem is when I put on the steel toe work boots when I go to work. It is a big difference when shifting with the longer shifter, much easier! I straitened all the bends in it with a big hammer and a anvil. When you loosen the shifter rod, make sure you use two wrenches, a 10 and 11. i also adjusted my brake lever as well. The shifter adjustments made a huge difference in making the bike more fun to ride, and got rid of all the shifting problems I was having.

• Premium Member
I was able to fix it by straightening the lever, and that gave me the length I needed. I wear an 11 boot, but the big problem is when I put on the steel toe work boots when I go to work. It is a big difference when shifting with the longer shifter, much easier! I straitened all the bends in it with a big hammer and a anvil. When you loosen the shifter rod, make sure you use two wrenches, a 10 and 11. i also adjusted my brake lever as well. The shifter adjustments made a huge difference in making the bike more fun to ride, and got rid of all the shifting problems I was having.
Wait, you did say size 11, and not 17, right?  I mean, do what you think is necessary, but normally there is no need to lengthen controls for average sized footwear.

I was having problems shifting, because the shifter was not on my toe where it should be, and it was very unsafe for me. I rode it again today, and what a difference, so easy to use. I mean, this mod cost nothing but time. There is no way I want to use the stock length, dangerous. Plus, you do get 25% more leverage as well. No cost, easier shifting, what's not to like.

• 2 months later...
dentalprodigy

Are these the same bolt+nuts i should fiddle with to get my rear brake to turn brake light on ? Right now, pressing rear brake doesn't light up the brake light for me.

Are these the same bolt+nuts i should fiddle with to get my rear brake to turn brake light on ? Right now, pressing rear brake doesn't light up the brake light for me.
Try pushing you're rear brake down harder. It might turn on then. And I'm not sure if this adjustment will solve the brake light issue. From what I remember, there was another adjustment for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to replace the gear shift piece that goes above\\below your toes with a longer piece? I was in the dealership sitting on a FZ07 wearing my thick steel toe type boots. I wear these boots while riding my cruiser which has a heel toe shifter. I could not get enough of the gear shifter piece above my boot to be able to shift positively.

Is it possible to replace the gear shift piece that goes above\\below your toes with a longer piece? I was in the dealership sitting on a FZ07 wearing my thick steel toe type boots. I wear these boots while riding my cruiser which has a heel toe shifter. I could not get enough of the gear shifter piece above my boot to be able to shift positively.
Man, I been thinking about trying to swap it out too. I haven't really looked at it up close lately. Next time I'll try and remember to look and get back to you.

Man, I been thinking about trying to swap it out too. I haven't really looked at it up close lately. Next time I'll try and remember to look and get back to you.
Thank you.  This was my first post and question on this forum. Glad it was not a stupid question. :-)  I would love to buy a FZ 07 if I can sell or trade my Yamaha Stratoliner. 

Thank you.  This was my first post and question on this forum. Glad it was not a stupid question. :-)  I would love to buy a FZ 07 if I can sell or trade my Yamaha Stratoliner.
I'm telling you man, I'm coming from an r1, and I'm having so much more fun on the fz07 lol

Archived