The MT-07 Forum

metal rattle

mhakkola

This is my first bike. And, it is fun.

I have about 200kms on it and I can hear a bit of a metal sounding rattle and my first guess is that it might be the chain.

That is my first task in assessing things, but in the off chance that it isn't the chain, I was windering if anyone out there has had a similar sound. It almost sounds like a loose nut with a washer rattling around if I was to give some sense of what it might be.

Anyhow, it there are any suggestions for me to consider or rule out, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance! Happy riding too.

Mika

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

Chains can make some noise, especially when you are loose and they do tend to stretch quite a buit when new. But the sound us not like a loose bolt/washer.

If it is your first bike it will be very hard for you to recognize what it is unless you can pinpoint the location. But even then you will have to figure out what to do.
I would take it to the dealer and have them assess the sound. It's their job and have have the experience. Insist on having a mechanic test ride it.
And don't let them send you on your way without taking it seriously. You paid a lot of money for a brand new bike and can expect good service.

Guest unknown

I've got the same sound mhakkola. I plan on dropping it off for the dealer to diagnose soon. It may be the chain sound as Guru mentioned but I never noticed such a loud chain on my previous bike.

knuckleup88

I have a similar sound on my bike. It started at 300 miles. Sounds like a valve tapping or something. I can hear it when I rev the engine and before I switch into the next gear( higher rpms). Bike now has 500 miles on it. I'll be up at the yamaha dealer in a few days for the 600 mile check up or tune up whatever it's called. Hopefully nothing to worry about but I'll let y'all know.

knuckleup88
It could be the cam chain tensioner. That is a big problem on the FZ-09, and alot of people have it.
is that something the warranty covers?

PearlWhiteFZ

Hopefully there is a recall on that because I have the same issue. And go those who hear it but unaware if it's the chain, I have tighen my chain checked it, and paid attention where the rattle is from. I have heard the rattling in the front of the bike next to the radiator.

Hmmmm. I seem to hear it more pronounced when I accelerate, and for that I have wondered if it is related to the drive train in some manner. But, it is hard to poke my head around when riding! And, it has seemed like it does come from the front end, but, I wounder too if the sound is most easily heard from the front end? Anyhow, gonna start with the chain and if that doesn't do it, I will have to take it into the dealership.

MarylandFZ07
I think it was just the chain as I tightened it today and the noise seems to have disappeared.
I had the same noise, now at 300 miles. I took it to dealer to get the chain tightened.. now chain is very tight, but I STILL here the noise.

missourifz07

I have a slight annoying sound as well. I can only hear is a low speeds 10-35mph. Coming from what seems to be the front. I have tried pin pointing with no success. Its really rather annoying. Get her up to speed and all I hear is the hum of an awesome engine...but darn that "lil rattle" is getting to me.

I have had the same issue, went in at 400 miles and had them tighten the chain. It wasn't as loud of a rattle but still noticeable during acceleration, I think the rattle is coming from the chain bouncing on the plastic rester for the chain right behind the front sprocket.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the same sound mhakkola. I plan on dropping it off for the dealer to diagnose soon. It may be the chain sound as Guru mentioned but I never noticed such a loud chain on my previous bike.
X2 on that. Tightened my chain yesterday. A tiny...like minute...amount quieter. This is bike like number 25 for me and has the noisiest drive chain I've ever heard.  Definitely the chain/sprocket/slider making the racket. Pulled in the clutch next to the barrier wall in the "fast" lane and clatter, clatter. Almost sounds like a dry clutch :-). 

I have had the same issue, went in at 400 miles and had them tighten the chain. It wasn't as loud of a rattle but still noticeable during acceleration, I think the rattle is coming from the chain bouncing on the plastic rester for the chain right behind the front sprocket.
Mine is actually louder off the power. Inspected the chain for a shiny stripe...which would indicate rubbing on something.  Gonna pull the front sprocket cover...again...and see if the chain is centered on the sprocket. Maybe the guy that installs the front sprockets is drinking on the job or something. I may just pull it and see what's up.

I can hear a metal rattle towards the front of the bike when I rev it a little. Not sure exCtly what it is but it's loud. Can't be the chain because I'm not moving when it happens and it's in the front near the radiator.

I can hear a metal rattle towards the front of the bike when I rev it a little. Not sure exCtly what it is but it's loud. Can't be the chain because I'm not moving when it happens and it's in the front near the radiator.

X2 what he said

migglesworth

I've had a similar experience. Super loud sound when going above 25 MPH. I swear it's coming from somewhere other than the chain. I took the bike in and the chain was loose. They tightened it and sent me on my way thinking the problem was fixed. After leaving,there was zero change in the sound. I want to take it to a great shop around here to see if they might know what it is, but I feel it's Yamaha's responsibility and I don't want to pay extra costs on a brand new bike.

Anyone have any additional information on what this may be? I'm surprised this issue hasn't been investigated further. The noise is freaking annoying.

I'm having roughly the same issue, but it only happens right at 3k revs. Any gear, any speed, 3k revs is the key to getting the noise to happen. Sounds like a metallic rattle right below me/around the front wheel. Any thoughts?

Took my bike in for the first service the other day. They had it for like 2 hours while I was waiting so I'm assuming they were checking everything thoroughly. Buuuuttttt after that I don't have a metal rattle anymore. I did hear them revving the bike in the shop and that's exactly what I would do to create the noise so maybe they found it and tightened whatever it was. I shoulda asked. But just to let you guys know I believe it is just something loose and or something vibrating against another part. So go through your nuts and bolts and make sure they're tight.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Took my bike in for the first service the other day. They had it for like 2 hours while I was waiting so I'm assuming they were checking everything thoroughly. Buuuuttttt after that I don't have a metal rattle anymore. I did hear them revving the bike in the shop and that's exactly what I would do to create the noise so maybe they found it and tightened whatever it was. I shoulda asked. But just to let you guys know I believe it is just something loose and or something vibrating against another part. So go through your nuts and bolts and make sure they're tight.
Hey man, would you be able to ask the tech by chance?  I had my chain tightened too but it never fully went away.  The way I feel about it, the bike may not be the most expensive thing on the market but it shouldn't be rattling down the road right from the dealer.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

If I get a chance to go to the dealer I'll ask him. Although he might not remember by the time I go there lol. It's worth a shot tho.

Hey QJohn, it would be helpful if you could simply call the dealer and ask if they remember. I also hear the metallic rattle/clatter, but only when I am near barriers going in the fast lane. Without a close by reflecting surface, I just can't hear it.

Hey QJohn, it would be helpful if you could simply call the dealer and ask if they remember. I also hear the metallic rattle/clatter, but only when I am near barriers going in the fast lane. Without a close by reflecting surface, I just can't hear it.
+1  same issue.

Archived