The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura R77 - Black is Beautiful!!

sansnombre

Just installed my new exhaust . . . after making it the appropriate color. I think it looks much better than the stock polish.
A note on initial impression - it was a little louder than I wanted, and also a little sharp/shrill. It sounded good, just not a throaty as I had expected. It was also a little bubbly and poppy on closed throttle/higher rpm transition - pretty standard stuff for this type of change.
Knowing that the removal of the O2 sensor would richen up the closed throttle operation, I removed it (it was on initially after the install) and I also removed the snorkel (more on that later). Change was dramatic. No popping or bubbles, and much throatier sound. Blipped the throttle a few times and was very impressed with the change in sound. It almost sounded too rich, but that was impossible. Took it for a quick spin, and it's very clean. I had it pulling at 2k in 3rd gear at low speed and it accelerated well with no hesitation or lurching. Smooth, clean, throaty sounds too. Wow, that was a good move.
The snorkel is a profound flow impairment! Not only does it impart the restrictions of its external length and smaller diameter, but it also goes almost all the way down to the bottom surface of the air filter, providing another orifice that the flow has to maneuver around! Take a look at the bottom 1/2" of your filter. See how it's darker and dirtier than the rest of the filter? That's because of the snorkel forcing all the flow down at the bottom of the filter. Yamaha must have had to do this to make emissions numbers cause it's a severe limiter on flow. Remove it if you can. My only concern is the relatively sharp corners of the main intake now. It would help to have a flow shaper (envision a velocity stack) of some sort there, esp for high RPM flow. I'm thinking of designing one if I have time.
Anyway, I pulled it off and am having no problems - I think because I also removed the O2 sensor. Next up is a K&N and the EJK kit, and I'll see what that does.
So far, so good. If there's interest, I'll let you know how it goes on round two.
Cheers
oQtzlcI.jpg
GF2k0Hb.jpg
nwXfYmS.jpg

• Global Moderator

Look into the DNA intake kit. Air filter and intake lid... looks similar to a velocity stack

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I would only do that if you can somehow seal the front edge of the seat where it meets the tank. Water will drip right through there into your air box if you remove the snorkel.

• Premium Member

That looks really nice! What a great idea. Now you just gotta paint those silver guards on the sides and you'd have yourself an even more sexier motorbicycle!

I can see them now.  Looks great, I like it at least.  Wonder if it will wear off easily.

Odd. They're showing up on my side. Let me try another method.

That looks nice! I don't know about the Yosh pipe but with an Akra carbon, K&N filter and EJK it's recommended you keep the 02 sensor in and disconnect the wire which I did with mine and boy, what a difference! You're going to love it! With that snorkel removed it howls when you crack open that throttle and the difference in performance, to me anyway, is significant.

Beemer

I would only do that if you can somehow seal the front edge of the seat where it meets the tank. Water will drip right through there into your air box if you remove the snorkel.
I can visualize that happening, it makes good sense but thus far, even while riding in the rain several times, no problems with mine un-snorkeled. Maybe I'm just lucky. If my luck changes I'll remember to do that or maybe just do it anyway as a precaution. Thanks for the tip!

Beemer

I compromised by cutting the bottom of the snorkel off and reattaching it, so it still has the hood for protection, but doesn't have the tube extending down into the air box.

I can visualize that happening, it makes good sense but thus far, even while riding in the rain several times, no problems with mine un-snorkeled. Maybe I'm just lucky. If my luck changes I'll remember to do that or maybe just do it anyway as a precaution. Thanks for the tip!
I've been caught is some nasty downpours and checked the air filter out when I got home, out of paranoia.  Dry as a bone even with the snorkel out.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very well. Since it's header paint, it's actually curing at the temps of the exhaust. And it's more durable now then as painted. Looks great.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did. Also removed the snorkel and put in a K&N filter. I would call this setup loud when you're on the pipe. At cruise, it's nice and burley, but open it up, and LOUD!! And I enjoy loud, so, it's friggin' loud. And yes, this is with the db reducer.

Archived