The MT-07 Forum

A few questions about installing the Yoshi Fender eliminator

luke325i

Ok so I got this thing on tonight...

First question, are you supposed to leave this piece off when reinstalling?

http://i.imgur.com/WpLNqAf.jpg

Second question, are the large 2 push tab clips supposed to be loose after reinstalling everything? They appear to be loose as a result of leaving that extra piece out (less thickness to grab onto)

Oh, any canadians, be ready for this to happen: http://i.imgur.com/QBPHUff.jpg  No way around it....

Here is the finished product:  http://i.imgur.com/1d6Cli8.jpg

Leave that plastic bit off and get 2 plastic rivets part number 90269-07077-00. Use those instead. Those clean it up nicely.

You can also find a couple of thin washers that equal the width of the plastic piece that was removed. Place them on the rivets and then install...nice and snug.

bmwpowere36m3

Does Yoshi not include shorter rivets or washers with their kit? The rivet is loose, like you said, due to the removal of the plastic piece as part of the stock fender/taillight assembly. Get a shorter rivet, Yamaha P/N: 90269-07077-00

The 2 push tabs that are loose.....wrap a piece of electrical tape to make it a little thicker...insert the tabs back in and it will be a tighter fit and will be flush and stay in place.

• Premium Member

For the push pieces, any parts store has such in one-piece plastic quite cheap, in many different sizes--the last I bought were a dozen assorted for around $2.00 or so. I even got some with slightly larger diameter heads that I like better than what Yami used originally.

• Global Moderator
For the push pieces, any parts store has such in one-piece plastic quite cheap, in many different sizes--the last I bought were a dozen assorted for around $2.00 or so. I even got some with slightly larger diameter heads that I like better than what Yami used originally.
I believe most places like cycle gear or even dealerships will sell small bolt and push-pin kits for sport bikes.

Ace, true value or even autozone have some that are meant for car fenders that work quite well, im assuming theae are the ones you meant @avanti ?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

They are black with a bunch of little ribs around the pin-like part that inserts into the holes and are meant to connect any fairly low-stress, light-weight materials that allow access to only one side. They simply push in with ones thumb, the end of a wooden dowel, etc. I don't know what they are called. sorkyah. Sorry.

• Global Moderator
They are black with a bunch of little ribs around the pin-like part that inserts into the holes and are meant to connect any fairly low-stress, light-weight materials that allow access to only one side. They simply push in with ones thumb, the end of a wooden dowel, etc. I don't know what they are called. sorkyah. Sorry.
I know at work we call em tree pins idk what the actual name is. But theyde relatively cheap.

bmwpowere36m3

We call them Christmas tree clips and I don't really like them since they usually are destroyed and one-time use.

• Premium Member

I installed the piece on the bike and avoided all that trouble, mine looks clean and I liked the finished look i got as well.

• Premium Member

"I don't really like them since they usually are destroyed and one-time use."

Of course, the little plastic thingees are one-time use; they are CHEAP, but work fine given one cannot access the back. Btw, how often do you expect to take them out? The two-piece "rivets" that Yami uses aren't consistently any better for multiple removals and installations, from my experience.

• Global Moderator
Of course, the little plastic thingees are one-time use; they are CHEAP, but work fine given one cannot access the back. Btw, how often do you expect to take them out? The two-piece "rivets" that Yami uses aren't consistently any better for multiple removals and installations, from my experience.
We have some at work that i used to replace most of mine with, they require a trim tool to separate, but they work for holding dash and trim panels together, figured it'd work well on the bike too

bmwpowere36m3
I'm used to the "hidden" clips (four diamond shaped prongs) on europeans cars that can be re-used a few times… unless the car is pretty old and the plastic is brittle. 
However I'm not sure why where talking about hidden clips… since this application call for a rivet and not a hidden clip.  Just buy the Yamaha part on eBay… $6 shipped.  Screwing driving around looking for them, electrical tape, washer, etc…  Yamaha rivets, $6, looks factory and works great.

• Premium Member

Is that $6.00 A PIECE for the Yamis???

If so, I can make a trip to the parts store and still save money, and have my bike back on the road in minutes!!! Aesthetics are obviously subjective but I don't mind the one-piece look and I had the option with many different sizes allowing me to select a larger than stock head diameter as seen in the pic below... sorry for the dirt; my fender extender hasn't arrived yet, hehehe. 

But hey, to each his/her own, of course.  All the best!

Archived