The MT-07 Forum

My long-term OPINION review on MotoDynamic taillights.

This opinion/review is based entirely on the viewpoint of SAFETY.  If all you care about is aesthetics, move on, this doesn't concern you because afaik, people who care more about aesthetics will do whatever is necessary to achieve the aesthetics.

This review is for new people who might consider MD taillights and are also considering their SAFETY when it comes to BRAKE VISIBILITY.

So I have a MD taillight.  Maybe half a year now.  Since it is behind me, I cannot comment on it.

But, I have purchased one and installed it on my wife's R3 last month as well (for nitpickers, R3 taillights are nearly identical if not identical to FZ07 taillights save for some wiring components).  Now, she is still beginning so I keep her in lead while I follow behind so she sets the riding pace.  I have ridden behind her for 3 months with stock taillights on the R3.  And 1 month with MD taillights.

MD taillights ARE HORRIBLE in sunlight.  I almost cannot discern the difference between when she brakes and when it is just normally lit.  The only thing letting me know she is braking is the light pulse/modulation that occurs.

With the stock taillights, there is a HUGE visibility difference when she brakes.  It goes from unnoticeable to "RED LIGHTS are on and I am braking!"

The big problem is the light-up array pattern.  Stock, it is a V and then when you brake, the cluster inside of the V lights up as well.  MD, they are all lit, and they just get brighter when you brake.  This is all fine and dandy at night but during the day in sunlight conditions, this change in brightness is not that noticeable.  I always suspected this was an issue in the past but it wasn't 100% clear to me until I started following my wife and noticed the taillights.

If all you care about is modulation, please do yourself a favor and get Supabrake IIs instead.  Brakelight visibility of STOCK + Supabrakes II is far superior than just MD modulation.  If you care about integrated signals, then well, its a huge tradeoff, sacrificing daytime brakelight visibility for no external signals.  As soon as SBIIs are released for the R3, I'm switching over and selling the MDs.  Unfortunately I did own SBIIs for the FZ07 but sold them, and now contemplating on buying another set and selling the MDs.

So there you have it, that is my OPINION regarding MD taillight safety. Take from it what you will.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

That's a decent and fair review. I don't have an integrated myself but I'm ok with the stock and tail tidy with small LED signals. What I do plan to do is make the rear tail faring flares and make those 3rd brake lights so when i do hit the brakes, I will have 3 brake lights. This will make it even better.

Do you have the smoked or clear? Cause we just went on a ride with 2 others that have the clear, and theyre bright and clear as day. But yeah good and fair review

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Premium Member

All my other riding riding buddies love how bright it is...they prefer me to ride in the back of the group at night since they are bright and attention getting due to the modulation

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
All my other riding riding buddies love how bright it is...they prefer me to ride in the back of the group at night since they are bright and attention getting due to the modulation
I've had similar results with mine. The brake alert is also something I've noticed other cars being more responsive to my stops. 

• Global Moderator
This opinion/review is based entirely on the viewpoint of SAFETY.  If all you care about is aesthetics, move on, this doesn't concern you because afaik, people who care more about aesthetics will do whatever is necessary to achieve the aesthetics. 
This review is for new people who might consider MD taillights and are also considering their SAFETY when it comes to BRAKE VISIBILITY.

So I have a MD taillight.  Maybe half a year now.  Since it is behind me, I cannot comment on it.

But, I have purchased one and installed it on my wife's R3 last month as well (for nitpickers, R3 taillights are nearly identical if not identical to FZ07 taillights save for some wiring components).  Now, she is still beginning so I keep her in lead while I follow behind so she sets the riding pace.  I have ridden behind her for 3 months with stock taillights on the R3.  And 1 month with MD taillights.

MD taillights ARE HORRIBLE in sunlight.  I almost cannot discern the difference between when she brakes and when it is just normally lit.  The only thing letting me know she is braking is the light pulse/modulation that occurs.

With the stock taillights, there is a HUGE visibility difference when she brakes.  It goes from unnoticeable to "RED LIGHTS are on and I am braking!"

The big problem is the light-up array pattern.  Stock, it is a V and then when you brake, the cluster inside of the V lights up as well.  MD, they are all lit, and they just get brighter when you brake.  This is all fine and dandy at night but during the day in sunlight conditions, this change in brightness is not that noticeable.  I always suspected this was an issue in the past but it wasn't 100% clear to me until I started following my wife and noticed the taillights.

If all you care about is modulation, please do yourself a favor and get Supabrake IIs instead.  Brakelight visibility of STOCK + Supabrakes II is far superior than just MD modulation.  If you care about integrated signals, then well, its a huge tradeoff, sacrificing daytime brakelight visibility for no external signals.  As soon as SBIIs are released for the R3, I'm switching over and selling the MDs.  Unfortunately I did own SBIIs for the FZ07 but sold them, and now contemplating on buying another set and selling the MDs.

So there you have it, that is my OPINION regarding MD taillight safety. Take from it what you will.
What lens do you have for your MD taillamp?
When i first got my clear about 7-8months ago i had my dad follow me around during the day and at night just to make sure everything was working and visible in a variety of vehicles. Dodge journey, ford bronco, and ford fusion. The only nitpick he had was the turn signals, but i planned on aipplementing them and have since done so

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived