The MT-07 Forum

BFH , a horn mod for fz07

MeanMug

Hi guys, got sick of the meep meep and I got a whomp whomp. pude7u4u.jpg3esura8e.jpg
It's a harbor freight low horn that bolts right in to the Yama system. The Yama nut threads on the horn and the wires slide right on the horn posts. Now it's sounds like my grandpas Plymouth fury! Oh yeah! Got your attention now eh ? Laugh Out Loud 8 bucks at harbor freight. Try it you'll like it

RRokay Raggie

I'll be stopping into HF later today, I'll have to look into this.
Don't forget the 20% off coupon!

RRokay Raggie

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This looks great! Motorcycle horns always seem so wimpy. I noticed at Harbor freight it comes as two pieces. Did you install both horns? And they are chrome - did you black them out?

Illegitimi non carborundum

MarylandFZ07

I just picked up the horn and spray painted it black. Looks and sounds pretty cool. 5 minute install + dry time.

was thinking of doing this also however since i did it for my old 600RR I may try something different...

"It takes an idiot to do cool things; that's why it's cool" - FLCL

MarylandFZ07
I just picked up the horn and spray painted it black. Looks and sounds pretty cool. 5 minute install + dry time.

edJ3PR4.jpg

KPsHBeg.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
I have installed both horns on my bike. Check out the post on reddit here:
The imgur album with links is here: http://imgur.com/a/sMXyt
The youtube video of the before and after is here:

Garage door opener how to???

japhillips87

Here is a link to my reddit post explaining it:

I basically de-soldered the button on my garage door opener. I then soldered on speaker wires to two points that were connected when the button was pressed but not connected when the button was not pressed. I soldered the button to the other end of the speaker wire and ran the wire up to the handlebars. I have a 3D printer so I was able to remove the little rubber spacer on the left handlebar and print something to hold the button and fill the space. You can also just hot glue or velcro the button somewhere on the bike. All you need is a working garage door opener, speaker wire, and a button or switch. The opener is up under my seat.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I want to do this. Better than the stock horn and not as stupid as just revving the engine to get noticed I feel it would spook me more when I accidentally hit the horn button when pressing the turn signal button.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• 9 months later...

Ok here's a little point.
The stock horn is designed to radiate slightly more than 180deg ( ie roughly a half sphere) . So it will be noticed most in that volume dependent on where you point it. Most times it is really important is to get noticed by a vehicle coming on and intersecting path from the side so a forward pointed hemi omni directional horn will get you noticed.
The Klaxon type radiates in a very narrow angle beam . It will sound much louder when close to on axis to the front and the sound pressure drops off much more than the other type. If you point it left the right hand side will have a significantly lower sound level for example.
The horn on the MT/FZ is adjustable. They rarely come from the factory properly adjusted. On the back is a little screw and a locknut. Loosen the locknut and fine ( very fine) rotate in BOTH directions and you will find the loudest spot. Unfortunately with a screw as tiny as ours, tightening the locknut ( I told you it was fine adjust) is change the tune so you have to play a bit.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 2wheeler

I installed my Harbor Freight horn today. A couple thoughts... Yes, it was a couple minute job where everything went together OK, just OK. There were three issues I ran into. First, it was a really tight fit where the horn was tightly pushing against the plastic outside cover for the radiator. When I saw "pushing against" it, I mean that to fully tighten the nut securing the horn, you will jam the horn into the cover. I don't think that will be a problem, but just mentioning it. Another issue was the connections. Yes, the Yamaha clips went right on the terminals on the Harbor Freight horn, but later in the day, the horn wouldn't work. I was wondering if it might have been a fuse, but before I went that route, I wiggled the clips, and the horn worked again. I don't know what to think about that, but common sense says to either add surface to the terminals or crimp the clips. Personally, I don't want to screw up the Yamaha clips, so I might add a layer of solder to the terminals and see what that does. Lastly, I had to give a little push on the back terminal as the wire was pretty close to the radiator. I don't think this will be a problem but I think a little relocation can't hurt. I installed the horn to basically to see how it works. Ultimately I want to paint it, but if it was crappy, I'm not going to spend my time on it. The joy of this horn is that I have a local Harbor Freight, and the freaking thing costs $10!

So how did it sound you ask.... well everyone else on this forum was right! It is pretty well kicks butt overall. The bass horn (there is a treble horn too) sounds much more like an American car horn, and definitely louder than the stock FZ horn.

I'm actually planning to get a second set Where I will paint it and add a little solder to the terminals. That way I can just pull the other one off and be ready to go. BTW the clam shell chrome part of the horn is plastic, so Krylon Fusion paint will work great for that. This is so not a chrome bike!!!

Archived