The MT-07 Forum

Side Cases! Shad 3P mounting system with SH36 Cases!

jckruz

When I get time later, I will write a review. In the mean time, enjoy the gallery at imgur!

First and foremost, ordering directly from Shad was a complete pain in the A$$. I originally placed my order on April 29th, and the side cases arrived yesterday, May 29th. When I first ordered them, the website claimed they were in stock, but the next day, " due to overwhelming demand the SH36 Side Cases are currently on temporary back order". I was told and they updated the site to say, "Guranteed to ship May 12th." This also didn't happen. They shipped on May 25th. Aside from the original email of "it's on back order, there was no communication unless I initiated it. They didn't come straight forward with any information. At one point, they claimed that it was a brand new product, so they had never sold them before and the demand was more overwhelming then they thought. They did, however, ship the rail system ahead of the side cases since they had those in stock. They also gave me a 5% discount and promised free case bags, the bags I have yet to see.
Through out conversations, they mentioned how they did ship a bunch to Yamaha, so apparently, you will be able to buy directly from Yamaha. I highly recommend doing that. Granted, they may not be as inept as they were through my ordering process and this is a fluke, my only experience with them says otherwise.

The installation was pretty straightforward. The instructions they gave are for an '14 MT 07, which is pretty darn close, it was not perfectly accurate. The guides you cut out for drilling the holes was slightly off, and in step 10, part [HASH]10 is shown to go under the mounting bracket, it really needs to be on top. Drilling holes in my motorcycle was, and is, not something that I enjoyed doing. Especially since  had to do a lot of cutting to get the holes to line up perfectly. If you look closely at the pictures, my cuts are not the best and I did not have a proper surface to cut on, so I have lots of ugly scratches... Scratches are my fault, but there wouldn't be so many had the guides been more accurate.

Part of the installation calls for the relocation of the turn signals. Not a huge issue, but I skipped this step. Partly because I have the integrated motodynamic on the way, and partly because the LED turn signals that I bought from rotaryryan do not fit. I did have the spacer things bought elsewhere, but didn't really know how to use them. Since I have the integrated on the way, I just gave up on that part.

Other things to note, you need a good set of allen wrenches to do this. The bolts that attach the rails to the back of the bike, step 16, were at an awkward angle. A socket set works on some of the parts, but the bolts on the rails do not fit a socket. Wrenches, ratcheting if you have them, worked best back there.

The cases themselves are great. When you lock the cases to the frame, the cases themselves are locked too. You can even lock them off the bike.

As advertised, a full helmet fits inside. I wear a large and it fits with ease. The only *thing* is that my little communicator box has to come off... 

The operation is quite smooth. The locking and unlocking, opening and closing, attaching and un-attaching all feels natural, precision even. 

These do not feel cheap, at all.

As mentioned, they are big. But they don't get in my way. I have not yet had the wife on yet, but when I get around to it, I will let you know what she thinks.

One thing I think they could improve is the bottoms of the cases. Since they are made to be removed and attached frequently, it would be nice if the bottoms had some kind of feet or flat parts to make them more stable while sitting on the ground. 

I would also like it if they had colors to match the American line of bikes, hence why I got mine in "carbon fiber". Maybe, if I can find them, I will buy a new set of the plastic pieces and have them painted. Or maybe they could sell them... Who knows.

I cannot tell you if they are a good deal. With shipping they come out to be $747, after complaining a lot, I paid $713 and was promised free bags... As I mentioned, I haven't seen the bags. I don't expect that I will, and I am so tired of dealing with them I'll probably just forget about them...

At the end of the day though, I do not miss the money and am happy with the product. I will forget about dealing with Shad and will enjoy the product.

I do recommend them.

http://imgur.com/a/5FElG#0

• Premium Member

Thanks for the review/info... I am strongly considering these, mostly since it fits a full face helmet with another case to spare, plus the bars/rails look decent with the cases removed.

Do the cases lock? I know they lock to the mounting bar, but I did not see it specifically stated on the site that access into the case can be locked. (seems obvious that they would, but since you actually own them...)

Yes, the cases lock. I also update the review to include that! :D

If I wanted a BMW, I would have bought one... That is, if they were the same price.... :P

• Global Moderator

I have to say it....those cases make your bikes butt look big :)
Seriously though for that much storage they do look good.

A wise man once told me, and I now live by this:

"I like big butts and I cannot Lie."
- Sir Mixalot

Archived