The MT-07 Forum

Andreani Advanced Cartridge kit

pattonme

I reached out to Omnia racing after hours on a weekend and the CEO himself responded to my request. I asked him for an actual photo of the fork upgrade kit to make sure it was the real deal but he just said the website "photos" are what they are. Not the answer I was looking for... But I'm tempted to buy a kit for my SV650s (I have 3) and give it a tear down.

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

It will be interesting to know the effects of the Andreani Cartridge Kit on the FZ / MT- 07...  ::)

• Like 2

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Ok, here's a thought. If I order a FZ07 kit, anyone want to take the Ohlins shock off my hands? Say $450 + ship?
PM if interested. The Gen1 SV and FZ07 are compatible down to cartridge bolt and fork cap threads.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Very interested in that item to go with your fork rebuild.

• Like 1

Everything went braap.

So I take it you were trying to find out why those 2 fork kits show 2 different looking cartridges. Along with the spring collars being different, looks like placement of holes is different and maybe at the very bottom ends as well.

One thing's for sure, those are just generic pictures. http://stores.ebay.com/omnia-racing-special-parts/Andreani-Group-Suspension-/_i.html?_fsub=435608011

• Like 1

Some ninja 300 racers use this kit and have report great results and reviews. I would expect the same results for the fz07.

• Like 1

well ok, the fork cap is wrong for adjustability... who knows... I think I'll email them again and this time insist on an actual photo of the box' contents as a precondition of placing an order.

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I have an email into the guys who I ordered it from and they are usually quick to respond and I will let you know as soon as I hear something although I doubt it will be today. If they are 2 different cartridges do you think the one without the rear shock looks legit? I may be tempted to switch the order to get both shocks in that case. I don't know much about suspensions but it looks like a great deal to get dampening, compression and rebound.

btw...that is definitely a generic pic because the pic of that cartridge with the big spacer is the same one they show for every model bike

NOW you offer the shock...story of my life... I originally ordered the Ohlins for the MT07 and after 6 weeks was told that the production on the shock was delayed at least 6 weeks so I bought a Nitron. I am in Australia so no existing stock. I believe the shock suppliers build up from parts so must be one or more of the components. I suspect you would be able to enlighten us on that Pattonme. Would have preferred the Ohlins . Still to start tuning the Nitron but first impressions are that Ohlins are more small bump compliant ( less harsh). That could be a function of the Bridgestone relative to the Conti's and Michelin's though.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

i looked into these for my triumph thruxton-if it's the same it isn't an ohlins cartridge.it is an andreani hydralic damper with ohlins springs,it's not reversible with the damper fixed on the top and bottom.there is no nitrogen sealed cartridge,but if i remember they are fully adjustable, and they are reported to be very noisy.this could be a different set-up?

• Like 1

Here is a link on the how to installation for a Ducati....however it shows the same pic as the 07 when looking at the regular cartridge page. The google search for andreani cartridges brings up a lot of positive reviews from what I am reading.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/sport-classic/357257d1395717586-installing-andreani-fork-cartridge-kit-andreani-cartridge-kit-installation-ducati-sport-classic.pdf

• Like 1

• Premium Member
that's the one i think-not sealed nitrogen,but it's probably very good. 

@ratlab, you have to spend MAJOR coin to get sealed gas forks. The AK20's are just the normal, oil-bath variety. Thanks for posting the PDF, @cmar143. The product is as I expected. The photos aren't close-ups so I can't say for sure but I don't like what looks like insufficient provisioning for venting of oil past the spring seat. The 3-section "bullet" is similar to what Traxxion does for their spring guide. I've never really subscribed to the so-called benefits.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'm thinking that pict is good news. To my eyes and limited experience opening up cartridge forks, that's way closer to what I'd expect to see. And it's similar to what you'd see inside my Aprilia's USD fork. The large silver tube between the spring and cap is a spacer. The 2 large holes in that spacer are where a spring compressor would grab that spacer to push it down to access a flat on the rod inside so the cap can be unscrewed. I have a home made compressor and can load up a pict if wanted.  
Usually, the proper way to replace fork oil is to remove the spring and spacers and then fill to a distance from the top - This is way more accurate and consistent than measuring what comes out and pouring that back in. 

Pattonme will chime in I'm sure, but I'm gonna guess one side will do compression, the other rebound. 

480 euro = $521. 

oops, sorry, didn't see the 2nd page.

That pict can be enlarged pretty decently

Doesn't all the oil enter the cartridge at the bottom? Why does the spring seat matter?

• Like 1

Alright, who summoned me from my lair? (it's beetleJuice all over again)

There is no oil flow "from the bottom" per say because the bolt isn't hollow. On the Comp leg there is a hole about 1.5" up from the bottom, yes. Is that what you meant?

So about the spring seat. As the fork moves upward in the comp leg, 30% of the fluid displaced by the stroke exits the 4 holes near the bottom has to find a place to go. If the spring seat is much smaller than the ID of the tube, no problem, it'll just flow past the lip. When I do GSXR retrofits the lip rides very close to the inner wall. But also there are very large holes under the spring seat so it doesn't have to try to slip by, it can move to the center and up into the spring area. There are 4 holes in the spring seat for the Andreani but the exit is plugged by the spring guide. So I'm not sure if they are just artifacts of using a common part, or what's going on there.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Yes, that is what I meant and should have said "near" the bottom

Seems that in this latest pict that the spring is quite a bit smaller in diameter than the cap so maybe even quite a bit smaller than the stanchion ID. Would that not be enough space?

And I was waiting to see that pict on my work computer - ( monitor is way more these cartridges) but shouldn't there be external threads below the cap? Maybe it's just a lousy pict. But even on this silly sharp monitor, i can't see where that cartridge would screw into the stanchion.

goofy dang pictures. They are not helping their cause any.

• Like 1

well, if you listen to Racetech and Traxxion (and I agree) you don't want a spring that is very much smaller than the tube. Otherwise instead of compressing in a linear fashion, it'll bend all cock-eyed and rub against the wall as it tries to compress. For the SV/EX/FZ07 they all use Sonic 3534 series springs. Ala 35mm diameter, 34cm long. Though length can vary quite a bit (eg. Traxxion's used to be rather short) without issue. The diameter of the tube is very close to 36mm. I don't know if the spring guide is a crutch for using a spring that is too small or just a nice feature. A 2mm gap between the spring-seat edge and the inside of the tube should be sufficient for flow around the edge except that the spring (if dia=35mm) is blocking it off. Hence you need the holes under the spring seat and a place for the oil to go. Maybe there are holes in the shank of the spring guide and we just can't see them.

Seriously, nobody wants an inexpensive Ohlins shock so I can get my hands on one of these kits and answer the questions that keep us up at night?
A. the answer is 42.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Maybe that's why people are complaining of noise - the springs are banging inside the tubes. That'll create some nice, fine metal spooge after some time

I'm still on the bubble for the shock. Gotta pay for the Seat Concepts seat and do some riding before spending more. Dang this crappy weather. Either bike has seen action only twice. Sheesh.

I'm also leaning towards the Nitron basic shock. But that would be a heck of a deal you posted before - assuming the spring rate and valving are in the "lightweight" ballpark. . hmm.

• Like 1

I located the US dealer for Andreani and Ohlins which is David at Fast Bike Industries and he is the owner and super knowledgeable and seems all about customer service. I ordered the combo front andreani cartridge kit and rear Ohlins shock and should have them by Thursday. I will post pics of the cartridges once I get the cartridges so you can see exactly what they look like.

• Like 1