The MT-07 Forum

New and need some opinions

weagleeweagle

weagleeweagle

Whats up guys and gals,

New to the forum and in the market for a new bike. I pretty much have my eyes set on one of the new FZs. I am curious if any one who has gone through this dilemma and can shed some light on why you went with the 07 over the 09. Unfortunately, i have either missed the recent yamaha demo days or its been rained out so i have not had the opportunity to ride either. Also, My local dealer is asking $6081 for the bike, not sure of the dealer fees and the tax/tags here in GA are +7%/+$40. So my guess right around 7100+ OTD? From what i have seen on here is pretty good.  

Thanks yall

War Eagle 

Welcome! All I can say is I asked myself what kind of riding I would be doing for the most part and then read about numerous bikes/watched a lot of videos on the bikes that fit that bill to narrow down my choices and chose the best one I could afford. The 07 is a great bike and so is the 09 but for me the 07 is slightly more relaxed (and cheaper), if you can call 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies relaxed, heh, and that's good enough for me! All the reviews I've read said great engine, good brakes but bad front forks. I figured most bikes have a quirk or two so why not the 07. The professionals seemed to love the bike overall so who am I to knock it. Good luck! 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Can you shed more light on what you're looking to do with the bike? Is a daily commuter? Taking it to the track?

I think if you give us an idea of what you want out of the bike, we can then better decide which bike would be best for you?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

weagleeweagle

Not really interested in track days. Mostly commuting and weekend fun. The difference in mpgs isnt to big of a deal for me. I think my biggest concern (if that is what you can call it) is the power difference. With the price difference of $1000, the added power seems almost like a steal. I guess i would call my style from calm and casual to moderately aggressive street riding? But at the same time, i cannot really see myself utilizing all of the power on the street. Not really a hooligan. 

I picked the FZ-07 because I wanted something that I could actually utilize the power, I had a deposit on an R3 but decided the FZ-07 was a bargain I could not refuse, I only spent $1K more out the door. Well in retrospect The FZ-07 is probably more than I needed for a second bike, it probably has all the power you can utilize in most circumstances and is light enough to be really magical. Great bike and IMHO, you probably don't NEED more. Everyone is different though.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome weagleweagle!

Both bikes are sexy as hell. The 07 has plenty of power, enough to get you in trouble! If you're a bigger guy, you might want the 09.

My hubs has an 09 and wouldn't trade it for anything. He's a bigger guy at 215, but still enjoys my 07 once in a while.

If you really can't decide, take a good long look at the taillights of both bikes.

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you're not going to ride like a hooligan and the 07 can do 3rd gear wheelies like the 09 (if you ever get the itch to) why not get the cheaper, gas miser that will be a good bike for years to come and put that $1000 saved toward some nice gear ..... or beer! P-)

Cheaper insurance, too???

Beemer

You'll go through less consumables, tires, gas, maybe even brakes. Cheaper insurance is a plus.
The 07 isn't really slow, the torque is superb, and with it's weight the HP is sufficient.
I personally find it more fun to a ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow.
Also I was able to get my FZ for msrp out the door in georgia

• Premium Member

I'm no delicate flower myself at 250, and I chose the 07 over the 09 because I liked the ergos a little better. It is a little lighter, a little more nimble, and cheaper (leaving more leftover cash for mods). Plus I think it looks better too -- especially the taillight. And I find for my riding (commuting and spirited weekend riding), this thing hauls (my) ass.

Im a guy, i want power...lots of power but i also occasionally tap into my brain and use it...

The FZ07 will do 120 mph, granted, its straining to do that but it will do it. Realistically speaking, anything over 90 miles an hour sucks nards on a naked bike so having the capability to do 140 is in my mind, worthless.

I went with the age old adage of buying what i needed, not what i wanted.

Go for the Fz09 if money and insurance is not an issue. Then you won't suffer "coulda shoulda".

I'm thrilled with my 07. Went right to it in the showroom and bypassed the 09 completely. Salesman tried to steer me to the 09 but I was already in love.

fromthecage

Welcome to the forum, and check out the Georgia thread in the Southeast section for members in your area. I think @Frosty should be down in your neck of the woods.
I chose the FZ07 because I was blown away by the looks over the FZ09 and the reviews. I'm not saying the FZ09 is a bad bike, but the range of reviews by either intro riders or seasoned vets, everyone loved the FZ07 for its behavior, fun factor, and price point. Those were my main reasons.

• Premium Member

Ride them both and decide. That's the only way you will truly know. The 07 has plenty of power to do anything you described.

• Premium Member

I didn't like what I'd read about the throttle response of the 09s, especially compared to the 07s. And, since I've other things that go really fast I just didn't need the extra "oomph" of the 09 to impress anyone, including myself. Also, even a few pounds less weight (07 compared to 09) is always good.

weagleeweagle

Thanks for all the insight. I agree that I need to ride both to make a final decision. I am a bigger guy, 6'4 260lbs. I have sat on both and actually found myself just slightly more comfortable on the 07, but not enough to discard the 09. The more I think about it I think the 07 will be more my style, plus i think it looks better aswell. Will know after a test ride.

Archived