The MT-07 Forum

Suspension for a fat guy

adaraas

Hey guys. I was wondering what suspension upgrades you'd recommend for a fat guy? I'm at 340 right now but I'm slowly losing it.

I'm wondering if just respringing/valving it would be enough, or if I should buy new shocks and forks.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

A new shock from Traxxion should be your first investment. They can also give you a rebuild kit for the fork that takes into account your weight.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Hey, I resemble a beached whale myself too. ;-)

The absolute minimum is fork ($65-110) and shock springs (60? from Eibach - yes you can often find the right size and rates in the Car catalogue). But to really enjoy the bike, you'll want to replace fork guts (gold valve emulators, or fully-adjustable cartridge) and have the shock revalved or just plain replaced with a much superior unit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm up there too at two fiddy, and my plan is to send my forks to @pattonme (a supporting vendor, "forks by Matt") this summer to get the full on cartridge replacement, and also a new rear shock (haven't picked one yet, but I am not a racer, so I may not even end up with one with a remote reservoir unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I don't ride real hard (mostly commuting), but man do those forks really compress under braking -- looking forward to that problem being fixed at the very least, plus the additional confidence to perhaps lean a bit more in corners :)

im fat also. im getting hyperpro front springs kit installed soon will let you know the outcome and if its worth the money

• Premium Member

I am a big dude as well. Ordered an Ohlins shock last week for my weight, actually less as I am losing 4-6 lbs a month. Ohlins are the best as they are made in Sweden ;). I went on a buy Swedish kick this year. Should have this shock this week.
Debating on what to do with the front. Springs and oil or springs and gold valves? I can't see putting $1,000+ into the front end. While I like my FZ-07, my friends are old like me and are gravitating to cruisers. I am seriously considering in 1-2 years migrating to the FJ-09 purely for highway and baggage needs.

> Ohlins are the best as they are made in Sweden

and yet, owned by Yamaha who gifted us with the current state and tune of the FZ07 (and FZ09) forks. ;-)

I really don't get the whole cruiser thing in the abstract (but that's just my bias) but more to the point that it's the go-to solution for "older" folks. Nothing is as ergonomically balanced and comfortable as a standard bike. And if feeble legs and fading mental capacities was a concern (just kidding) then I wouldn't be going after something that weighed an additional 200lbs, had utter poop for brakes, and even worse suspension. But your chiropractor will surely thank you for your choice.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
> Ohlins are the best as they are made in Sweden 
and yet, owned by Yamaha who gifted us with the current state and tune of the FZ07 (and FZ09) forks.

I have been saying that joke all year. Must be my Swedish ancestry kicking in ::) Spot on for the rest of your post, which is why I am looking at the FJ-09.

traxxion damper kit worked ficken awesome for me and was cheap no more nose dives
next is the rear
How much was it and did it get rid of the clack you hear when you hit a hard bump or hole? (I can't stand the CLACK!)

Beemer

90% of the suspension fix is getting the right(er) springs. GVE or cartridges is the proverbial icing on the cake. Sure the clack isn't the fender popping in it's mounts? There shouldn't be anything loose in the forks. There's a lot of stuff around the headlight too that could be making noise.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I've been loosing weight too just for the Bike lol I was over 260 and now down to 235 ish.

I thought I herd my bike grunt when I sat on her haha. But at 230-240 I thought the bike is working well, yeah if I slam the Fronts only it squats forward bad but if I use the rear with the front it worked fine.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

for what its worth I will be doing gold valves only in one prob this week I can let you know how it goes
I will drill out the damper rods
rider is like 180 se we will leave the springs and the valve will add some preload
found the gold valve on amazon for 125 bucks

you're keeping the OEM springs for a guy who weighs 180lbs? Poor choice. OEm is only passable for ~150 at most. 180 should be running .90 as a minimum and .95 would be better if aggressive rider (track use). Frankly a 150lb rider should equip their bike with .82-.85 vs the stock which is somewhere in the .7's.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator
Hey, I resemble a beached whale myself too. ;-) 
The absolute minimum is fork ($65-110) and shock springs (60? from Eibach - yes you can often find the right size and rates in the Car catalogue). But to really enjoy the bike, you'll want to replace fork guts (gold valve emulators, or fully-adjustable cartridge) and have the shock revalved or just plain replaced with a much superior unit.

Im not exactly a 'beached whale' as you put it, but just dropped below the 250lb mark. what would be your recommendation for an inexpensive upgrade to fit my frame? I use the bike for commuting and the occasional day trip to the lakes

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
90% of the suspension fix is getting the right(er) springs. GVE or cartridges is the proverbial icing on the cake. Sure the clack isn't the fender popping in it's mounts? There shouldn't be anything loose in the forks. There's a lot of stuff around the headlight too that could be making noise.
So, I'll probably be sending you my fork this fall (when I can afford to be without it :)) , for a rebuild, but... what shock do you recommend? The Penske looks pretty good, but I know Hagon makes one too, and there are others...

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Incidentally, I'm 145 lbs, 150 with gear, and I currently have the rear shock on the 4th position. I had it on the 5th position but it definitely lacked response.

Why can't left turners see us?

Im not exactly a 'beached whale' as you put it, but just dropped below the 250lb mark. what would be your recommendation for an inexpensive upgrade to fit my frame? I use the bike for commuting and the occasional day trip to the lakes

At least .925 (aka .9 + .95) springs for starters ($75). Rear spring depends on where you are at, with rider and static sag. The damping, especially rebound really isn't very good in the OEM shock. Cheapest is a Traxxion or Racetech rebuild with Gold Valve (piston) replacement. That'll run you $150 in parts and roughly that in labor. That's assuming the OEM shock can be serviced in such a manner. I haven't investigated the issue (it would also be a rare first) but others have reported that it's been offered. Otherwise look at the shock replacement thread for your options. Hagon shocks are somewhat better than OEM. I've had them twice and wasn't impressed. But compared to sacked out OEM, they are a clear improvement and they are cheap. For casual rides and commuting they'll be fine.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

@rowdy
> what shock do you recommend?

as much as you want to spend. ;-) But to get a (imo) good shock you're going to have to spend $700 or more.
I'm still waiting for someone to attempt a CBR swapout (http://fz07.org/post/25292) and revalve.

For those who are adventurous, and just can't do with down time I'm planning on offering a DIY kit option like I do for the EX650 and SV650 retrofits.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

if I confused anyone
I had done a full traxxion damper kit on my bike and am installing set gold valves in a different bike
a coworker bought an fz after riding mine
also afer riding mine with the fork fixed he wanted to try just the valves
also for the record traxxion sent .95 spring in my kit and I am 250lbs
my coworker is like 180 that is why he wanted to start with just the valves
springs can be had if need
he will probably never ride the bike aggressive enough to need a full on race set up
nor will I, Im just fat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/180639/spring%20rate.gif

In my opinion, for street duty pick a spring a half or a full step down from the chart above for best results. Or in other words, shift the line to the right, 1 squares worth. If racing, the chart is probably spot on.

some good commentary here: http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/springs.htm
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived