The MT-07 Forum

Bike Security

V8titanpwr

• Premium Member

So what do you guys use for security when you're not at home? I have a garage so not too worried there but for riding out and about, i'm looking to pick up a disk lock or something. I live in Orlando which is a huge metro area with a lot of car and bike thefts. Not too sure the FZ-07 would be a high value target as of now though seeing as they are so rare and can easily be traced back to the owner.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Mine is garaged while at home and when I take the bike out I never let it out of my sight. At least for now I feel it's one of those vehicles that you take for a ride and bring it back, not leave it in a parking lot when you shop, hike or whatever.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator

Not much security where I live. It's in a shed with a flimsy lock.
But a lot of locals here don't lock their house doors. Some don't even lock their cars and leave the keys in.

With my old bike, it was garaged while at home. When out I would use the factory neck lock and park in the hashed areas up front when at shopping areas.

Now for this bike, no neck lock, so I also am looking into the brake disk lock or even a siren style system for the FZ.

• Premium Member

There is a steering stem lock though.

Unfortunately a good bike thief can pop your steering lock and drive off with your bike in about a minute, in broad day light. 
Disk locks and insurance is pretty much the best you can do. Some people recommend anchoring, alarms, tracking devices, ect...
But if someone wants your bike, they are gonna get it.

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

• Global Moderator
...But if someone wants your bike, they are gonna get it.

They probably pull up with a closed in trailer, load up the bike with lock, alarm etc.. never to be seen again.
I am happy to live in a rural area with a very low crime rate. Theft here is pretty much a non issue.

• Premium Member
Unfortunately a good bike thief can pop your steering lock and drive off with your bike in about a minute, in broad day light. 
Disk locks and insurance is pretty much the best you can do. Some people recommend anchoring, alarms, tracking devices, ect...
But if someone wants your bike, they are gonna get it.
I know, I was just quoted the guy above who said it didn't have a steering stem lock. I'll be picking up two disk locks, one for each wheel for while i'm out and about, just to act as a deterrent. I have full coverage so if it gets taken so be it, I would just like a bike thief to think twice beforehand.

In addition I to the steering lock I use a Kryptonite cable like. I pass it thru the frame and rear wheel. This won't thwart a determined thief but will slow them down. I'm considering anchoring it to the ground. In addition I installed a motion detector alarm. Again that's only good if I'm at home. Of course I have full insurance but every little bit helps.

Check out this informative article:

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/ask-a-motorcycle-thief/

Locks and alarms only keep honest people honest. If someone wants it they will get it.

I don't gave my bike so I was unaware if the stem lock. What size disk lock are you guts getting?

• Premium Member
In addition I to the steering lock I use a Kryptonite cable like. I pass it thru the frame and rear wheel. This won't thwart a determined thief but will slow them down. I'm considering anchoring it to the ground. In addition I installed a motion detector alarm. Again that's only good if I'm at home. Of course I have full insurance but every little bit helps. 
Check out this informative article:

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/ask-a-motorcycle-thief/

Yeah that was from an AMA on Reddit, I browsed through it to get tips on security. The basic premise of two disc locks isn't so someone won't steal it, it's so they have to think twice. If they see a disk lock on each wheel they will wonder what other kind of security is on it that they can't see and wager the risks / reward.

• 2 months later...

I was going to start a new thread, but figured I'd just bring this discussion back alive since I think this is on topic...

Anyone look into bike alarms? I was looking into this option: http://ridescorpio.com/. I get the idea that any good theif that wants my bike will get it, but for me the idea is deterrence. If my bike is parked with a couple others like it is at work, all I want is for them to think the other ones would be easier to snatch.

I'm pretty techy too, so the added features like having the smartphone app and also collecting ride info seem neat to me. I've never used a bike alarm and it's probably been about 15 years since I've added an aftermarket car alarm to any of my vehicles. So, anyone have experience with bike alarms?

Life is good on 2 wheels!

On my 2009 v strom I had the Gorilla 8007 installed pretty easy diy set up ,more like a deterrent.I uninstalled prior to trade it in but haven't installed on my 07 I think it's to bulky ,so I might go with the smaller model http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-9000-Motorcycle-Remote-Transmitter/dp/B00J3QM4SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413382181&sr=8-1&keywords=gorilla+alarm it's so compact and easier to install,but I probably will wait till next year,bike it's going to be garage stored for the winter.

On my 2009 v strom I had the Gorilla 8007 installed pretty easy diy set up ,more like a deterrent.I uninstalled prior to trade it in but haven't installed on my 07 I think it's to bulky ,so I might go with the smaller model
I have the same Gorilla 8007 and transfer it from bike to bike. I never had a stolen bike, but I don't know how much is due to the alarm. I think it is the best deterrent (with the addition of some kind of a hard locking device) as no thief wants an alarm to go off when cutting a chain. They like to be left alone, so they should move on to an easier target.

On my 2009 v strom I had the Gorilla 8007 installed pretty easy diy set up ,more like a deterrent.I uninstalled prior to trade it in but haven't installed on my 07 I think it's to bulky ,so I might go with the smaller model
I have the same Gorilla 8007 and transfer it from bike to bike. I never had a stolen bike, but I don't know how much is due to the alarm. I think it is the best deterrent (with the addition of some kind of a hard locking device) as no thief wants an alarm to go off when cutting a chain. They like to be left alone, so they should move on to an easier target.

Did you install it on the 07 ?and if you did where on the bike ?

I have the Scorpio Ride with the Secure package on both my bikes. Best thing about this system is all alerts get sent straight to my phone via text message, email, and app push notification.

Did you install it on the 07 ?and if you did where on the bike ?
Still waiting on my bike to be delivered, but the alarm will be installed within a week of getting it. I hope there is enough room underneath the rear seat. 

I have the Scorpio Ride with the Secure package on both my bikes. Best thing about this system is all alerts get sent straight to my phone via text message, email, and app push notification.
Do you have/use the additional proximity sensor?  I'm curious if that just invites a lot of alarm triggering or if it only goes off a reasonable amount?  I like the idea of it, but if it goes off 2-4 times a day, it'd probably just be more of a burden than any good.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Do you have/use the additional proximity sensor?  I'm curious if that just invites a lot of alarm triggering or if it only goes off a reasonable amount?  I like the idea of it, but if it goes off 2-4 times a day, it'd probably just be more of a burden than any good.  

The perimeter sensor is adjustable. I set it to where it starts chirping when someone is directly over the bike. For some reason, on rainy days, it becomes extremely sensitive so I arm the system with the perimeter sensor off. Other than that, it works great.

Archived