The MT-07 Forum

Stalling Issues?

Guru

• Global Moderator

I've had my bike a couple of weeks now and I have had some stalling issues. It happened a twice during the break in period. I was riding in heavy traffic and just about to shift when it stalled when I pulled the clutch. Letting go of the lever made it jump start so all was good.
After my first service (where they increased the idle by 100 rpm) it only happened once. I think this time it might have been user error. I am keeping an eye on it though.

I think one of the causes could be that the engine it still tight and the 'run in' oil does not lubricate enough to compensate for the low idle when hot.

I did some research and the are a lot more people with comparable issues. Some talk about stalling when waiting at a traffic light, some complain about hard starting after stalling.
Most complaints originate in Europe, where the MT-07 has been out for a year now. There are even people saying that Yamaha should step up and do a recall.

Because the bike is relatively new here, there are not many known cases yet, but I am sure there will be once there are more bikes delivered.

So if you have stalling issues, please post it here.

• Global Moderator

Could be fuel, but they have the same issues with the Euro bikes too. They all probably run lean to meet stricter emissions but stalling should not occur.

Guest montana07

I haven't had any issues, what fuel have people been using? I haven't had any stall issues and I've run both 87 and 89 octane, both without ethanol.

It is not entirely carburation, F.I. does a good job of delivering enough for a smooth idle. There are two factors that work together to cause your stalls. The engine has a very light flywheel and lacks inertia. This makes for a quick response to throttle since there is so little to get started. The other factor is the fuel cut off during closed throttle deceleration. What happens is the RPM crashes as the clutch is engaged and F.I. is not quick enough to respond. A throttle blip would avoid this or allowing revs to fall into idle territory before engaging the clutch. Aggressive down shifting and engine braking also will keep the revs high enough for F.I. to not be caught in a dry condition.
Another effect of light flywheels is the stalling as you start. With familiarity this will be less of a problem. Given the choice between high and low inertia; lightness is always preferred. Ask any Moto Guzzi owner who has had their flywheel lightened.

• Global Moderator
I haven't had any issues, what fuel have people been using? I haven't had any stall issues and I've run both 87 and 89 octane, both without ethanol.
I think it's not the fuel itself, rather the fuel mapping, it's fuel injected after all. And like Yamabob says the lack of inertia. Maybe even the 270 degree 'cross plane' design, which give it a nice lumpy rumble, but is has a less smooth overlap.
But all this should be compensated by the fuel mapping because a engine should simply not stall by itself and without warning.

If so, it could be fixed with a simple re-flash. 

There is a trade off to adding fuel during deceleration, usage. If the fuel cut off is deprogrammed you will not see MPG readings of 70 and 80 MPG. With the 3.7 gal tank, is this a trade off you will want? On my recent 125 mile point A to B trip I was able to go without refueling mostly at speeds above 80MPH. It is only the last 30 miles lane splitting on NJTPK that brought my average MPG up to enable 125 miles.

My experience with a Ducati 900SS may shed light. In 1992 their first air cooled F.I. sport bike it had excellent economy due to mapping, muffler, and a tall 6th gear. Top gear was only used at 75 MPH due to no torque below 4000. First gear was terrible and needed careful clutch work, 50 MPH in first gear is ridiculous.
So I put more teeth on the rear sprocket, tossed the mufflers for slip-ons that sounded like a 50 cal. machine gun, swapped the air box for K&N oiled paper filter and chipped the ECU. WOW that thing was FUN! But...with out ear plugs the intake roar was insane, and economy lost 20MPG. With the small tank I needed to stop every 80 miles.

I'm riding the FZ07 to avoid the 16MPG I get in the Tacoma (4000 lbs and 4.0 ltr V-6) at similar speeds. My weekly round trip is nearly $60 in the Toyota.
My advice, don't mess with success. I am hoping for two $10 fill ups to save $40 a trip.

BTW: cross plank in a twin avoids the vibration with 180 and 360 cranks. The old Brit bikes would crank the pistons together with vibration so bad the front tire will bounce off the ground at idle! Honda gained similar performance in 350 and 450 cc machines with pistons rising and falling at 180 deg. There the vibration was less but somewhat a paint shaker instead of pile driver, thus red line increased to 10,000 versus 6,000 (reliable as well).
The 270 deg crank Yammy also gets a small counter balancer, I think you agree there is no problem with vibration. My CL350 Scrambler will make your feet tingle and that is with the pegs rubber mounted!

• Like 1

The EJK fuel controller really helped my FZ-09. It was running really lean from the factory at around the 4-5000 RPM mark and I adjusted the cruise range and even reduced fuel a bit in cruise rpms. The result is that I am actually getting better MPG when cruising or holding a level RPM. Slight loss in MPG when I'm accelerating up alot like in the Twisties and but I also feel more power. the bike seems to run aot smoother all the way thru the rpms and even idles smoother now.

Adding a pipe on these bikes really leans em out too much and without a controller, ya risk engine damage on a lean bike. I also disconnected the o2 sensor so the Fuel controller is able to control the engine by RPM on it's own and I am very impressed. Seriously, these new bikes are really lean just to get thru emissions and controllers really do a good job. I will get one for my FZ-07.

Cool thing abiut a controller is that you can change the mapping right there on our bike without a computer. Like 121 different setting. An, it now is alot cheaper than re flashing a bike.

• Like 2

Nixon's EPA in 1972 ruined the era of muscle cars. Today you can own a stock Mustang with a 700 HP and it will pass emissions. I'm sure there are drag racers who will rip all the gear off this set up and get the ET even lower. But they won't pass inspection to be road legal. It is only the lack of enforcement that allows the loud pipes and off-road modifications that bikers cherish.

Some day we will see emissions testing for Motorcycles, it will surely start in California. It always does.

But, in ten years electric bikes will be taking over. I was really hesitant until I test rode a Zero and holy crap, ya better hang on if ya twist that throttle too much.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
Nose bleed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huh?

Stalled the bike maybe 2 or 3 times during the initial break in. I changed the oil/filter and adjusted and cleaned the chain last night, stalled all day long. Several times I couldn't get it started immediately, took like 3 or 4 tries(as cars take off past me on both sides).

I need to get it to the shop for the sync, but noticing another users post about the lack of fuel pump noise during key turn has got me alarmed, now that I think about it, I maybe heard it a 1/3 of the start ups today. I'm gonna give it another day after the tb syncing to start to worry.

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

• Premium Member

So obviously this stalling issue is becoming a problem for some and not so much for others. Years of wrenching on bikes leads to the fact that our machines don't just magically decide to not work so let's pull together as Fz07 owners and as a motorcycle community and get this issue resolved.

Unfortunately the dealer has yet to receive my bike so I'm stuck on the sidelines as of right now. Lets keep as much clutter out of this thread as possible and keep it strictly related to the problem at hand.

We cant rule anything out as of now so let's start off with some basic questions to get a better understanding of what's going on. For the members who are having stalling issues.

What state do you live in?
What was the bikes temp?
How many miles?
Has it resolved itself after the first service?

With that said, let's start with the cooling system. Some of the symptoms are the same as a bike overheating. Has anyone checked their coolant levels and checked for air in the system?

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

California
~700
Serviced w/o tb sync

I think it has to do with temperature, yesterday was pretty much the only day I rode in heavy traffic for extended periods, engine temperature was constantly over 200. Never had issues with temperatures lower than that.

• Like 1

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

Washington
~50
Haven't serviced yet obviously! Just brought her home

Haven't stalled when cold at all, but has a few times after riding for a bit. All in stop and go traffic and not user error

• Like 1

I test drove one a half mile and it died bike had 0 miles on it
when I came to a stop it just died with the clutch in
2 days later I purchased one. it died once in the first hundred and once in the second both not my fault
I live in MN don't think temp or riding style had anything to do with it
bike is at about 350 miles

• Like 1

Up in Ontario, Canada eh!
Had it stall the first day I had it maybe 40km on it, pulled up to my parent with the clutch pulled in, doing maybe 3kp/h and it stalled, little over 500km now and it hasn't done it since. I always downshift coming to a stop, keeps the revs around 4000 and very rarely just pull the clutch and slow down.

• Like 1

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

I have ridden my bike 350 miles so far with no stalling. All kinds of traffic conditions, with FL heat and humidity. However, my dad rode for a few minutes last night and it stalled on him. Now, I know he knows how to ride... but this might have been user error.

• Like 1

Guest MXRider

This is a common issue with many small displacement new motorcycles. They are so choked up from the factory and run very lean. The emission standards are very strict. Also out fuel in the US is getting crappier all the time.

Try bumping up the idle a bit. It should also get better once you get some use on the motor.

Ultimately the real fix is to derestrict the bike and get a good tune.

• Like 1

I read someone on one of the mt07 forums that they were complaining the sensor on the peg stand was cheap which ended up making the bike stall

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Global Moderator
This is a common issue with many small displacement new motorcycles. They are so choked up from the factory and run very lean. The emission standards are very strict. Also out fuel in the US is getting crappier all the time.  
Try bumping up the idle a bit. It should also get better once you get some use on the motor.

Ultimately the real fix is to derestrict the bike and get a good tune.
True, but I think a bike should not stall right out of the box. 
I bumped up my rpm +100 when it was due for first service and it didn't happen again. Not sure if that solved the issue. Could be a combination of miles on it, fresh oil, getting used to the bike etc..