The MT-07 Forum

How to: HID PROJECTOR bi-xenon Headlight ( retrofit )

wangshin248

wangshin248

[div align=center]8kTpXj.jpg
[/div]Hi guys, I just installed the HID projector light, so just wanna show you my tutorial, it's hard, but just pay attention then u will be fine !
-------
Total ~ $110

I bought two things from Amazon, and it's totally fit my bike
H1 Projector high and low beam : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B21R0TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HID light H1, DO NOT buy H4, 4300K and 5000K is brightest : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF48D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can find others, but hopefully it's not a crap :D

This tube ( MUST NEED ) or pick up at local stores http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Maximum-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B0002UEN1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427767905&sr=1-1&keywords=ultra+black

And your oven to bake your headlight or heat gun if you have one ( because you need to heat it to open the housing, but i do not recommend using heat gun )

----------------

Ok, now you have all you need, let's get it started

Step 1: open these screws, unplug all connectors inside it.
qiEmKY.jpg

Step 2: bake your head light, put it in oven about 7 minutes at 205'F , not sure about that ? see this link

This is the hardest part, if you cannot open it, keep heat it, the adhesive is super strong, when it get hot, you should open it immediately, be careful and patient ! I spent almost hour to open it, and try not to damage it !

Step 3: open the housing, and install the projector, make sure you put right side of the prjector

Put the len in the housing, and add these things 1>2>3>4>5
the part number 1 should be inside the housing with the len.
6iwM2G.jpg

2cAODS.jpg

Step 4: apply "ultra black adhesive"
SxZUl2.jpg

qLdPKN.jpg

Step 5: put it back, and wire the ballast and bulb
1Xu7Bq.jpg

Step 6: setup High/low beam

solder black and red wire of the projector to stock wire inside the headlight. you will see it when unplug the connector !
41QHgsK4irL._SY400_.jpg

I will post some pictures after sunset:D :D :D

I really like the look of that. Results seem pretty solid too. I was shocked at how low the price point was of the HID. May look into this, excellent tutorial!

Correction to above instructions. Do not us Ultra Black Adhesive. Use rubber butyl, that is what is in the housing right now. Ultra black does not mix fully with the factory sealant.

I did retrofits for around 3 years.....200+ sets.

Nice work btw!

wangshin248
Correction to above instructions. Do not us Ultra Black Adhesive. Use rubber butyl, that is what is in the housing right now. Ultra black does not mix fully with the factory sealant. 

Nice work btw!
you're right, but i cant find any rubber buty near here.... hopefully it will be ok :(

wangshin248
Where did you put the ballast? 
ben

next to ECU, there are a huge space behind the Yamaha logo on the right side.

I want this to be my next major mod. I have been researching pretty much since I got the bike. I plan on using this to put in my headlight.I can't believe i never saw this thread before. haha

squintyeyes

Nice work btw!
Nice work btw!Im about to do a headlight retrofit on mine, is there a specific brand of rubber butyl you recommend?  

Nice! I think I've found my next mod lol. Do you have any more details on step 3? Like after you take the lens off does the projector just fit in there or do you have to remove anything? And how is the projector secured in the housing?

wangshin248
Nice! I think I've found my next mod lol. Do you have any more details on step 3? Like after you take the lens off does the projector just fit in there or do you have to remove anything? And how is the projector secured in the housing?
It's universal fit, this kit includes washer, H4 adapter.... ------------
Put the len in the housing, and add these things 1>2>3>4>5
the part number 1 should be inside the housing with the len.
6iwM2G.jpg

wangshin248

Nice work btw!

Nice work btw!Im about to do a headlight retrofit on mine, is there a specific brand of rubber butyl you recommend?  

You can go to any auto dealers and ask for that, or online such as ebay, amazon 

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Welp, another thing to add to the list. Great work @wangshin248 & thanks for the write up.

wangshin248
How is the high beam controlled? Is the stock switch gear still used?41QHgsK4irL._SY400_.jpg [span]   [/span]
solder black and red wire of the projector to stock wire inside the headlight. you will see it when unplug the connector !

• 2 weeks later...

Nice...i did this to my prelude but im a little bit scared doing this on my 07 lol, you should be a vendor and do retros on the 07 lol

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

Heating the headlight wont get the 4 screws that hold the front plastic trim in front of the headlight off unless you melt them out. The top 2 are accessible through holes in the back of the light covered with tape, but the bottom 2 are very difficult to remove and there is no detail in this thread on how exactly those were removed. I have a retrofit kit and took a try at breaking the light down this weekend and could not figure out how to remove those bottom screws. The glass itself needs to be heated once the bezel is removed because that is where the glue is located but I would warn anyone before you spend the money on a retrofit that this is the most difficult part. I am going to try and find a thin flexible screwdriver to get that done. With the bulb out and the up/down adjustment screw turned all the way up you can see those two screws through the main bulb hole but its not a straight shot. That thin piece of transparent trim on the inside of the headlight blocks them so a flexible screwdriver is needed at least. You can see the screws if you look hard...they are on the sides of the small secondary bottom light housing and are what holds the bottom of the front trim in place. Rubber buytl is what holds the glass to the housing (there are also tabs on the housing that fit into notches on the glass)but those 4 screws are what holds the trim to the housing and I would be afraid of losing those clamping points. Hopefully the OP will pop in and explain how he got that front trim piece off.

wangshin248
Heating the headlight wont get the 4 screws that hold the front plastic trim in front of the headlight off unless you melt them out. The top 2 are accessible through holes in the back of the light covered with tape, but the bottom 2 are very difficult to remove and there is no detail in this thread on how exactly those were removed. I have a retrofit kit and took a try at breaking the light down this weekend and could not figure out how to remove those bottom screws. The glass itself needs to be heated once the bezel is removed because that is where the glue is located but I would warn anyone before you spend the money on a retrofit that this is the most difficult part. I am going to try and find a thin flexible screwdriver to get that done. With the bulb out and the up/down adjustment screw turned all the way up you can see those two screws through the main bulb hole but its not a straight shot. That thin piece of transparent trim on the inside of the headlight blocks them so a flexible screwdriver is needed at least. You can see the screws if you look hard...they are on the sides of the small secondary bottom light housing and are what holds the bottom of the front trim in place. Rubber buytl is what holds the glass to the housing (there are also tabs on the housing that fit into notches on the glass)but those 4 screws are what holds the trim to the housing and I would be afraid of losing those clamping points. Hopefully the OP will pop in and explain how he got that front trim piece off. 

I dont know why u need to heat the screws ------
Just use hex wrench to unscrew all of them, the only reason that you need to heat the headlight for opening the housing. that's all I do

How did you remove the front trim piece...the black plastic housing that is in front of the glass? There are 4 Phillips head screws that hold it on from inside the headlight itself. I got the top 2 out and the top of the trim was loose but the bottom 2 are close to impossible because they are only accessible through the halogen light hole and even then sit behind the clear plastic trim inside the bottom of the light. You can look inside the front of your headlight still on the bike and see both of the screws I'm talking about as they are to the sides of the smaller light bulb housing at the bottom. Without removing that front trim piece you can not get to the glass and the front trim is not going to come loose from just heating it unless you just pull the screws out of melted screw holes. I have not seen anyone post how they have removed that piece and from what I've seen so far that's got to be the most difficult part of this job.

Here is a pic of the light and you can see one of the 2 lower screws I'm talking about. These must come out in order to remove the glass. link

wangshin248
How did you remove the front trim piece...the black plastic housing that is in front of the glass? There are 4 Phillips head screws that hold it on from inside the headlight itself. I got the top 2 out and the top of the trim was loose but the bottom 2 are close to impossible because they are only accessible through the halogen light hole and even then sit behind the clear plastic trim inside the bottom of the light. You can look inside the front of your headlight still on the bike and see both of the screws I'm talking about as they are to the sides of the smaller light bulb housing at the bottom. Without removing that front trim piece you can not get to the glass and the front trim is not going to come loose from just heating it unless you just pull the screws out of melted screw holes. I have not seen anyone post how they have removed that piece and from what I've seen so far that's got to be the most difficult part of this job.

Here is a pic of the light and you can see one of the 2 lower screws I'm talking about. These must come out in order to remove the glass. link

Lol, i am knowing what you are talking about. One more time, when you unscrew, it makes you have more space to open the housing, so you can avoid to damage other parts of the headlight. This headlight uses adhesive to hold the clear front and black plastic like you said. there are not screws that you need to unscrew. If you cannot open the housing, because the adhesive is still strong, you should heat it until it melts.

Dont try to touch anything inside the housing , just seperate all parts top outside the headlight then bake it, be patient

please see the video clip that i posted #1 so you can know how the housing attach together.

The video clip you posted is of a car headlight which has no screws to hold the housing together so yes that melts the adhesive to take apart but the FZ-07 headlight is different. Do you have any closer pics of the insides of both part of the headlight that you can post?

I was wanting to do this as soon as possible as it looks awesome but if it is as hard as you guys are making it out to be, I'm not so sure. Lol.

Archived