The MT-07 Forum

Stainless steel brake lines

JA50N

I was wondering if anybody has installed some stainless steel brake lines on their bike. If so, how much did it firm up your front brake lever? I have found it to be a bit on the spongy side. I have not bled the system because i dont think it actually needs it. I think the spongyness is a product of the rubber lines.

Job No. 1 is to definitely bleed the front brake lines.
It will take only 15 minutes, and that's taking your time.
It is a mistake not to do this, and if you were to install braided steel lines, guess what the finishing touch to that job would be.

I find the firmness of the front brake lever good.
If I were to make a change with my FZ-07 front brake system (besides using more aggressive pads, which I've already done), it would have to do with the shape and angle of the front brake lever.
In the past, I have used a front master cylinder from a late-model Suzuki GSX-R.
The shape of the front brake lever and the feel it gives me while using it is the best I've felt.
I used one of these on my 2007 SV650K7, and it felt great.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try bleeding the front brakes first.

Assuming the brakes are bled properly, how do you feel about the stainless steel brake lines? I know the owners manual says to replace the brake hoses every 4 years. i know that this isn't the same, but I have used stainless steel brake lines in the past in automotive applications and it has greatly improved pedal feel.

Braided lines will help with firmness, but in my opinion, I'd bleed first, then decide.
I've never owned a bike where they were mandatory, but an option if you feel the want or need.

I agree with what the others have said. Bleed first then zip tie your brake lever down lightly and leave it like that over night. Then bleed the remaining bubbles in the morning. If you change brake lines do yourself a favor and get speed bleeders to make this job easier in the future. If you are still not happy with your brakes you can go for a larger master cylinder and change your brake pads.

Ja50n, since you asked if anyone has SS brake lines:

I replaced the OEM lines and pleased with the lever feel.

YZEtc, your right bleeding first will make a difference. 
However, I opted to change  out the OEM lines, quit easy to do to.  I called Coremoto and had them make a set of SS lines for me a few months back.  
I read a great review about their lines/fittings in Motorcyclist Magazine. When I called back in December they had not designed a set
for the FZ-07 but they will take your order over phone and will custom build for same price.  So I used their website diagrams, studied the bikes OEM angles and ordered.
The lines/fittings are fantastic and top quality!   Easy to install with very little mess, great resulting firmness!

To Howlinhoss...... I am a big fan of speed bleeders and ordered them this time as well, cuts down on mess!

Up front at master cylinder -translucent blue SS 
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag422/pics4me2/Bike/AF4051A9-6B5B-428A-9876-8CB9B91E6E97_zps5meg1roe.jpg

Rear SS
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag422/pics4me2/Bike/001F25CE-9F6B-44DA-95CD-A3869990B3B9_zpsqk82spac.jpg

Close up at rear caliper
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag422/pics4me2/Bike/DCE10AC3-2FFB-43B7-8C10-265E05280689_zpsdmivl5uv.jpg

That loop of hose that goes over the wheel is a perfect place for air to hide and be quite difficult to remove. And it only takes one little bubble. My front brake was also mushy until I did this. Took 10 mins and the lever firmed up quite a bit.

Pulled the left caliper off and raised it higher than the right one. With a piece of wood in between those pads, took the right side caliper off and did a back bleed on it by pushing the pads in by hand. Put the right-side caliper back in place and did a back bleed on the left side caliper the same way while still above the left caliper so that loop of hose stayed up.

This pushes any air in there uphill and out into the master's reservoir. Just gotta be careful that there's enough room in the master to take all the fluid. I left the lid on.

When the lines start getting old, I'll replace with braided. But I agree with YZEtc, pads with a bigger bite would be a better investment. And in the long run, easier and far less messy to do

• Premium Member

I changed my brake lines to SS. Went with Goodrich Black Shadow SS lines for the FZ-09 because they don't have a fitment for the FZ-07. Fit perfect, and it did firm up the feel a little. To be fair, couldn't really say if it was the bleeding of the new lines or the lines themselves that made the difference. I'm sure a little of both :)

- Paulie

Archived