The MT-07 Forum

Motodynamics Integrated LED Brake Light

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

This is probably the second-most anticipated mods for the bike that I had as improving visibility is always top of my mind when riding.

This will cover the installation of the housing as well as a quick review. I'll be adding in more detailed pictures when it's not freezing in the garage.

What's in the box: LED Taillight assembly, Integrated blinker sub-harness, Wiring instructions

Tools needed: Phillips screwdriver, 4mm allen, 6mm allen

Difficulty: 3/5 (mostly because of dealing with hard to reach connections and body panels)

To start, remove the passenger seat. Underneath, you'll see two silver 4mm allen screws, 2 silver 6mm allen screws, and two each black and silver phillips head screws. All of these screws hold the two halves of the rear plastic together at the back of the bike, and the two silver 4mm screws actually hold the taillight housing in place.

Once you have removed those screws, move underneath and take out the four plastic clips. This is essentially the same process as installing the fender eliminator, except you don't have to completely remove the side panels, just make it so that you can pull them apart. If you're waiting on a fender eliminator, I would highly recommend waiting until you have both pieces and do them at the same time. This video goes into good detail on that install process:

After your plastic clips are out, you'll want to pull the center piece out from on top of the taillight (the silver 4mm screw held this in place) and then pull the two halves of the rear plastic apart. You'll see that there are two tabs that fit into rubber grommets on the side of the taillight:

gKGAww2.jpg

o386L7C.jpg

I used a screwdriver as a lever to push the tab out of each side since the rear frame is in the perfect spot. Once those two tabs are free, the taillight will be free! Almost. Now we have to deal with the wiring. Poke around in the little cubby area and you'll see a three-prong white connector (it's the only one there), that's your taillight harness. You'll have to reach deep in there as there's not much slack and unclip that connector. Once that is undone, there is a black clip and a zip-tie holding all the wiring in one big bundle. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry up the tab on the clip and fold it over. And, if you're a raging OCD maniac you can reuse the zip-tie or just snip it.

fP4lVWK.jpg

Rejoice! Your taillight is free! Now you can go one of two ways: Leave it as is, us it in place of your stock turn signals, or use everything.

I decided not to use the integrated turn signals just yet as I don't want to detract from my visibility by combining my brakes and turn signals. I should have checked and gotten the splitter cables from their site when I ordered, but I was in a hurry before they ran out of stock.

If you want to use them instead of the stock signals altogether, use the supplied sub harness. Unclip the connectors for your stock rear signals, plug in the sub harness, and then plug the sub harness into the yellow and blue leads coming off the LED taillight. To use everything, you will need the aforementioned splitter cables or you can hack into your harness if you're so inclined.

Depending on how you set it up, you will then need to program the taillight with two options in mind: Stop Alert and Sequential Signals. Stop Alert will flash the brake light when you step on the brakes before staying solid and Sequential Signals is the "sweep" motion when the turn signals are activated. You may turn either option on or off according to the instruction sheet. There is a small button that you need to press with a toothpick or something similar. This button is located on the back of the housing and cannot be accessed once the housing is installed on the bike.

Function Test!

O3w26PN.jpg

Get everything situated before you go screwing it all back together and flip your ignition on. It should light up without the bike running and will illuminate brighter when you use either brake. Make sure everything works as it should and then reinstall everything.

Now sit back and admire your work. I was on the fence about the smoked housing, but after seeing it installed on the bike it works perfectly with the dark-colored bodywork that surrounds it.

zLDj69k.jpg

zHnNomG.jpg?1

fs6Yyc2.jpg?1

N4143cd.jpg?1

As far as mods go, this is a really good one. It doesn't require any splicing in and is LOADS brighter and more noticeable than the stock taillight. The fact that it also lets you retain your stock turn signals in conjunction with its integrated ones is really nice as well. Also at $89 it's about $40 less than the others I've found on the market. Win/win!

fooschnickens
Hmmm. Stop alert cannot be increased longer? Can you program it yourself?
It doesn't appear so, at least from looking at the instructions that were provided. 

fooschnickens
Nice write up. Now get rid of the diaper on the back :)
That and exhaust are the next two items on the list. Assuming tuninghq gets back to me about Ixil pricing I'll have one of those two mods installed just in time for riding season to start :D 

migglesworth

Thanks for the write-up fooshnickens. I got mine installed tonight. I am using it in conjunction with the Yamaha LED signals for the MT-07. I had to purchase the extra harness you mentioned, but it works well. There is a TON of wire now in the storage compartment from the tail tidy and signal mods I've done, but it's somewhat manageable. The harness that comes with the taillight gets crazy hot, so I'm still trying to figure out the best place to put that. It makes the back of the bike look so much better. Great mod and write-up.

Questions I had about this that I've now answered.
1. The light came standard with the sequential and stop alert enabled, so no programming necessary for myself.
2. When used in conjunction with signals, the signal lights up at the same moment as the sequential signal begins its run, starting from the inside, moving outward.

TwistedTorque

How do you guys feel about the turn signals + brake being applied at the same time. Does it mask the brake light too much?

fooschnickens
How do you guys feel about the turn signals + brake being applied at the same time. Does it mask the brake light too much?
To me it does, but that's my personal paranoia talking. I plan to use it like miggles with both the sequential and stock signals working together. 

TwistedTorque

Yea see that's how I felt from watching the videos too so I was planning to do the same.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived