The MT-07 Forum

Was there always a whirring noise when you turn the key on?

rotaryryan24

Are you talking about the fuel pump priming the system, because that is normal. A short video or sound clip would help.

Does it lasts for a few seconds, then stop?

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

Guest August BB

Haha, wow. I always have my helmet on with earplugs so I have never heard that noise until now.

Thanks @rotaryryan24, @fzrdr.

I've been telling myself to start wearing ear plugs for sometime. Going to put them next to my bike so I will remember. I guess I will miss that trademark whir at startup

turn on the ignition switch with the kill switch thrown. I'm gonna guess it won't prime and you'd not hear the pump. Same will happen if it's in gear with the sidesatnd down.

My aprilia's dash will read OFF with either of those cases and the fuel pump just doesn't run.

If yer planning on having a look at the dash or doing something electric, but won't fire the bike up, may as well activate the kill switch so as not to pressurize the fuel rail. That pressure should bleed off back into the tank, but why put pressure on the injectors if you don't have to.

It's definitely the pump, but on mine if you turn the ign on with the kill switch to
engine off it does not prime as you would expect, but when you then turn the kill
switch to run it still dose not prime, but the engine starts at the first touch of the
starter, I would expect it to prime as it was switched to run, it must prime as the starter
turns or it would not start but I cant hear it due to starter noise, strange, never had
a injected bike act the same way, but it works so not bothered, I have noticed that in sub
zero temps the kill/starter switch seems to get a bit sticky not wanting to return all
the way when you let go the starter, 2 year guarantee in the UK so if it does go wrong
it's Yamaha's problem.

Well, that's interesting. It suggests it's priming when you power the bike at the key, and not when the kill switch is set to run from kill. I never use the kill switch - well, hardly ever, so i'd never had noticed.

But yeah, the pump has to pressurize up or the motor won't fire. So it's gotta be happening underneath the sound of the starter.

Guess I'm expecting to not be riding until March the way the weather has been going. I'll try and remember to do that test at some point come spring. And C'mon Spring!

Archived