The MT-07 Forum

New windscreen and rear hugger!!!

pgeldz

• Premium Member

Well, I've decided on a livery that accomplishes all my goals, mitigates all the challenges I previously pointed out, and is very relevant to racing...

Putting the finishing touches on the design next week and then I'll make it reality :)

- Paulie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Ok folks...

The Ermax hugger arrived (Satin Black)!!! Put in on yesterday, had a look, and then took it off and went back to stock.

The Ermax hugger looked awesome in it's own right, and looked wonderful on the bike as well. But back to back comparisons had me going back to the stock huger to get the open air, tail up look I'm going for.

Good news is that I'm finally finished sorting this out. It's been an expensive proposition to go through all this trial and error, and photoshop can only get you so far - sometimes I just have to see these pieces in the flesh at different angles to really get a true sense.

In the end, I've decided to go naked with no windscreen, and use stock rear hugger.

The bike is actually finished. Did the rest of the bits yesterday and now the only thing left is the graphics, which I have also sorted out (thank goodness) lol.

I'll be making a for sale thread soon for all the parts I've ordered but decided not to use :)

- Paulie

Ahh, finally,  the elusive MRA Double Bubble. Now, if it only wasn't -3F outside. I've already put in an order for a heated garage in my next life, lol 

I also have a SW Moto rack and R&G radiator guard waiting for a bit warmer weather. I'll post up picts when it's all ouut of the plastic and on the bike. 

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1281_zps02b399de.jpg

• Premium Member

Rick,

Glad you finally got it! Looks nice compared to the other tall screens I've seen. Hard to tell in the plastic, but it looks like it fades from light tint to dark tint at the bottom...if so, that's very cool.

I have the R&G rad guard as well...I think you'll like it a lot. I originally bought an Evotech but didn't want to modify the Yamaha billet aluminum rad guards to play nice with it :)

- Paulie

Yah, that's exactly how it looks. It's blacked out where all the hardware lives so you can't see thru to the mounts. And then it fades to smoked above. I'm not exactly sure how to describe that "faded" area as it's more a defined border with lots of little holes in the black than an actual smooth gradient. The clear shield on my Futura uses the same effect to hide its mounts to the fairing. The aftermarket shields (even MRA's version) don't have this. So I see this as a nice OE sorta look.

That guard will be offer up a nice contrast to the silver tanks. Didn't take long for the radiator fins to start looking a bit dingy. This will do nicely to hide that as well as provide some protection.

That SW Motech rack, like the Yamaha one requires holes (round ones instead of rectangular monsters for the yammy one), so there's gonna be a little anxiety until it's in place. There are full sized drilling templates in the kit. If it's like everything else SW Mo., this should go well I hope

So, good, you've mounted up that R&G cover. I've a question. They give a couple pieces of 25mm wide sticky foam in the kit and recommend 10mm strips be cut. Did you cut off a bunch of 10mm wide bits from those longer strips? Sure would have been nice if they just supplied 10 or even 12.5mm wide strips. I know it really won't be seen, but I'm half tempted just to buy some 1/2" foam just so it's uniform.

thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

Yes, I cut the foam into strips. Easy as pie, although, like you I wish they would have just supplied them that way :)

I like the R&G guard a lot. I thought the top and bottom of the rad being exposed would bother me a little vs the covered look of the Evotech, but surprisingly it doesn't.

Quick install tip - Can't speak for the stock plastic rad side covers, but if you use the R&G guard with the Yamaha billet aluminum side covers you have to bend the mounting tabs on the radiator outward a little to get the R&G guard to fit with those strips of foam.

:)

- Paulie

I've still got the OE side covers, but figured it would take at least a little, erm, customization to fit that guard. It's just gonna have to wait a couple weeks as it's not suppose to even get to freezing here until next week.

Last check of the temp here, ooohh, it's a heat wave @ +3F. at least it's sunny for a change.

• Premium Member

Well, if you want a set of the billet Yamaha covers, let me know. I bought 2 sets. One to hack up for the Evotech rad guard, and another to use if I didn't like it.

When all the parts arrived, I decided on the R&G set up, and never hack up the the other rad guards at all...

I swear, I could open up a web store with all the extra new parts I decided not to use :)

- Paulie

fooschnickens

Would it be too redundant to make a new thread that catalogs how all these windscreens look when installed?

Seems like a shame mucking pgeldz's build thread with people asking about different options on the market.

fooschnickens

I'll do what I can to catalog what's been posted already over the next few days and consolidate it into one thread. d('_'d)

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
It's all good. I don't mind, although I agree a thread like that would make sense... 
- Paulie
Paulie, I see in your pictures you installed the Yamaha Lower Sub Cowl (belly pan).  I ordered one and the install instructions mention about unbolting the headers to gain access to some bolts to mount the brackets for the belly pan.  Did you follow these install instructions and do you have any tips?  After unbolting the headers did you need to replace the header gaskets or add any caulking when you re-installed the headers?

Thanks,
Chuck

• Premium Member
It's all good. I don't mind, although I agree a thread like that would make sense... 
- Paulie
Paulie, I see in your pictures you installed the Yamaha Lower Sub Cowl (belly pan).  I ordered one and the install instructions mention about unbolting the headers to gain access to some bolts to mount the brackets for the belly pan.  Did you follow these install instructions and do you have any tips?  After unbolting the headers did you need to replace the header gaskets or add any caulking when you re-installed the headers?

Thanks,
Chuck

Unfortunately you really do have to unbolt the headers to gain access...and yep, I replaced the gaskets as well. I'm sure it would be ok to re-use the gaskets on a fairly new low mileage bike, but even still, my OCD would get the best of me and I'd replace them anyway :)

Let us know how it turns out!

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Thanks,
Chuck
Unfortunately you really do have to unbolt the headers to gain access...and yep, I replaced the gaskets as well. I'm sure it would be ok to re-use the gaskets on a fairly new low mileage bike, but even still, my OCD would get the best of me and I'd replace them anyway :)

Let us know how it turns out!

- Paulie
I will, thanks for your help.   Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, anyone bought the version with custom engraving of the DPM windscreen? Any real installed pics?

http://www.deprettomoto.com/en/motorcycle-accessories/race/yamaha/mt07/1633/

Mateo
hey man, i just bought it from someone else on here, i have em mounted so if you want to check it out, here you go

[url=]http://fz07.org/thread/2009/dpm-front-screen-rear-hugger[/url]

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• 11 months later...

Hey Paulie,

Did you ever take the bike out with the rizoma screen? I was just wondering if it actually did anything

2016 FZ07 Street Whore
2009 Honda Motard
2007 CBR600RR Track Whore
2015 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Garage Queen

• Premium Member
Hey Paulie, 
Did you ever take the bike out with the rizoma screen? I was just wondering if it actually did anything
I don't think so.  I installed it on the bike to see what it'd look like, but never really got to try it out since it was in the middle of my build and the bike was down for other stuff. 
I did try the DPM screen though, and it seemed to do a good job of NOT directing air to my torso or helmet in a bad way :)

The size and angle of the Rizoma screen are similar, so I'd expect similar results.  Ultimately towards the end of my build I decided to go "naked", and just leave well enough alone.

- Paulie 

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2014 at 3:32 AM, pgeldz said:

Not one day after installing the Matte Black Aluminum screen from Rizoma (which I think is the nicest screen out there), I see this:

http://www.deprettomoto.com/en/motorcycle-accessories/race/yamaha/mt07/1615/

and they have a matching hugger as well:

http://www.deprettomoto.com/en/motorcycle-accessories/race/yamaha/mt07/1616/

I think I like this look a little better.  We'll see.  Just ordered both!

- Paulie

Paulie - what was the rear hugger like?

• Premium Member
On 9/12/2017 at 5:22 PM, digitalsteve said:

Paulie - what was the rear hugger like?

It was nice, but a little longer than I wanted :)

- Paul

On 15/09/2017 at 11:53 PM, pgeldz said:

It was nice, but a little longer than I wanted :)

- Paul

I'm after a longer one! Might be what I'm after. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

I'm after a longer one! Might be what I'm after. 

Might be perfect then!

- Paul

Archived