The MT-07 Forum

Poll: Did you test ride a FZ-07?

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I noticed on another thread that a few of us bought our bikes without test riding one first. I thought a poll on this might be interesting. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scordiaboy515

I usually test ride everything I buy, but I did not test ride the FZ-07.  I read and watched everything on the MT-07 for months and new in my gut I was gonna love this bike.  I was filled with joy when Yamaha made the announcement that it was coming to the states. :D

oops... (rofl)

No test ride, there is so much information available, you almost don't need to. It wasn't an option at the dealership, but if it were, I certainly would have taken a spin.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I voted no but not sure if that's right. I put down a (refundable) deposit on one, then a month later by pure chance took a demo ride at a cruiser rally. I fell in love and bought mine when they called to say it was in.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My first street bike, so what would i have learned from a test ride anyway. I just went for it, confidence based on the information I collected. I had been contemplating a street bike for about two years.

We are early adopters. Run this poll two years from now and the results will move towards test rides and riding friends bikes. 

• Premium Member

I did not test drive. Like many other they wouldn't allow it. Especially it being mid-June and it was their first one arrived.

I guess I am one of the few that test rode it before I bought it. I had loan app in place and approved and just needed to sign the paperwork. So The salesman wasn't going to let me walk out being so close to buying it when I insisted  on test riding it first.

I was coming from a cruiser so I wanted to see how it rode before I was going to spend my money on it. I had already done all my research on it and knew kinda what to expect from the bike but I wanted to see how I felt on it.

Can't see the poll on my iPad but nope I didn't do a test ride. I just knew it looked good and that i really wanted it lol.

I not only did a short test ride, about a mile around the block, but also did a test push in the parking lot. The push was so much easier than with the bike I traded that it was the selling feature that hooked me.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Premium Member
I did not test drive. Like many other they wouldn't allow it. Especially it being mid-June and it was their first one arrived.
+1 Same.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

...... but also did a test push in the parking lot. The push was so much easier than with the bike I traded that it was the selling feature that hooked me.
You are aware that the chances are you gonna ride the FZ a lot more than pushing it, right? :D 

Yes, I did take a test ride before buying.

I rode both the FZ-07 and FZ-09 at a Yamaha Demo Days on a Saturday in late August.
I could have bought either one, but the torquey throb of the Crossplane twin-cylindered engine, the small, thin, and light feel of the bike, and the way the fun I had on that test ride stuck in my mind basically made me forget all about the FZ-09.

I bought my FZ-07 two days later with no regrets, other than wishing this bike had been available years ago.

No test ride. The best way to be sure you're going to enjoy a new motorcycle is to downgrade to a Suzuki GS500E for a few years. After that, any bike will seem like a dream.

I was actually looking to buy a SV650 or a SFV650. I wasn't until the day I got the loan from the bank that I even found out about the FZ-07. I couldn't be happier with the ride/feel/look of this bike.

I test rode it. The Yamaha truck was at my dealer for the first time in 2 years over labor day weekend and it was all just perfect timing. I test rode the FZ-07 and the FZ-09. I wanted to test ride the R6 and the V-Max but you needed to be 21 to do that.. FZ8 wasn't there, otherwise I would have test rode that. Which by the way, is the FZ8 still in production? because I though the 09 replaced it but if you go on to the European Yamaha site there is a 2015 FZ8 so I'm confused. Anyways, there was an FZ6R there that I should have test rode but I didn't. I have never been on an i4 bike, but that would have been a good opportunity. After test riding the FZ-07 and the FZ-09 though I definitely like the FZ-07 better. The transmission cover kept hitting my leg when I put my foot down to stop too. It seemed like the clutch cover and the transmission cover stick out of either side of the bike more far than they should have. I'm not saying the 09 is a bad bike, I'm saying that when I rode it I felt like I would have a harder time keeping the bike controlled not just because of the sketchy mapping, but also the lightness of the front wheel all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love being a hooligan on the 07, but the 09 is too ridiculous when you simply tap the throttle and you 12 o'clock the bike. I didn't like that. When I got off the FZ-07 though, the first thing I said was, "I could easily live with that bike everyday." It just rode so nice and it just felt better than the 09. The 07 was smooth, linear and nothing was hitting my legs when I came to a stop. Also the looks of the 07 are soooo much better than the 09 in my opinion too. It was love at first ride and I bought it immediately after the test ride. The Truck took a picture of me with the demo 07 and my sale receipt to put in their "book" which I'm assuming is people who buy right after a test ride event. So, yeah.. That's my story. lol

The FZ-8 was last sold in the USA as a 2013 model, and since it's still up on the yamaha-motor.com website as a 2013 model, I guess there are still some brand-new 2013 leftovers unsold on the showrooms.

• Premium Member

If a demo days pop up this summer I'd like to hop on a FZ-09 .. Maybe even try a stock 07 to remind me how sweet my upgrades are lol.

Everything went braap.

Yes, I test rode it and a Kawasaki ER6n. Then went to the bank and got a cheque and came straight back and bought it!
I clocked up over 100km riding it home 'the long way'. :-)

I was hoping to buy the FZ-09 when it came out. As soon as I sat on it, it didn't impress me. I knew they had come out with the MT-07 already, and I had my fingers crossed that it come to America, Spring 2015, then Yama decides to announce it a the Summer of 2014, I think, that's nice , but still thinking it would take a few mos. Not true, mine was the first FZ-07 for my dealer, it came on friday, by tues morning Barb and I happened to be shopping near the Yamaha dealer and she says, you my as well go look in there. I tell her the FZ-07's are not out yet, then I look across the showroom, thinking I'm seeing another FZ-09 but no it was an 07!!! when I sat on it, I said this feels better than the 09 I'd sat on. We went home our lunch, she says if you want it, I'll call them on back on how much money to bring!! We got it by 4pm, it was the first time I had even heard one run!! I think it is so funny that my bike is [HASH]00062, I had just turned 62 in may

Yes, I did take a test ride before buying. 
I rode both the FZ-07 and FZ-09 at a Yamaha Demo Days on a Saturday in late August.
I could have bought either one, but the torquey throb of the Crossplane twin-cylindered engine, the small, thin, and light feel of the bike, and the way the fun I had on that test ride stuck in my mind basically made me forget all about the FZ-09.

I bought my FZ-07 two days later with no regrets, other than wishing this bike had been available years ago.
Same here, except I did not have the opportunity to try her on beforehand. Been waiting for a bike like this for a [em]looong[/em] time!

Yes...Yamaha Demo event in Tucson two weeks ago...I loved it and bought one last Wednesday...picking up my new graphite blue machine on Tuesday

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

Archived