The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I pulled that little rubber snorkel off the air cleaner. Amazed at how much better it runs and sounds. Took two seconds. Pops right off . 

Yep, Yamaha engineers were just looking to give us something to take off the bike when they added that item.  It has nothing to do with airflow thru the engine.
Guru, can you verify this?  From what I remember, the snorkel did have an effect on the way the engine ran.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Global Moderator

Not sure, but I doubt the snorkel does very much. It is not crazy restrictive. I might sound a bit different but I don't think you can expect any performance improvements. You will need to modify the intake, the exhaust and get a programmer.

• Like 1

The only restriction I can think off with the snorkel is for the EPA and improve mpg.
Restricting the air intake will restrict oil/air mixture, so better mpg and co2. Remove the snorkel should free everything, but, sometime, snorkels do have more of a purpose than just limiting air intake.

I think in order to get any improvements on the intake you will have to put a new air filter in there such as k&n or DNA. Something that flows air easier than the stock paper filter.

Now are you guys removing the air box lid too? Because just removing the snorkel and leaving the air box lid on isn't really opening anything up. You still have the same size hole in the lid as the in the end of the snorkel.

My bet is that it's to cut intake noise, which can make quite a loud honk if it's not muffled.
The emissions regulations (both exhaust and noise) the bike must pass before it goes into production results in these things.

Oh, yeah.I rode my FZ-07 today, too, in a balmy 39 degrees.Fahrenheit. :)

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
Here's a link on the air box snorkel topic. I'll be leaving mine as is. :) It's a little bit technical but very readable.
Snorkel Info

Thanks for the link @wabill. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about airboxes :). I will not be messing with mine now either. 

scordiaboy515
Here's a link on the air box snorkel topic. I'll be leaving mine as is. :) It's a little bit technical but very readable.
Snorkel Info

Thanks for the link @wabill. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about airboxes :). I will not be messing with mine now either. 
   Way cool! good info.... 

scordiaboy515
I replaced my old incondecent bulb with a super bright H4 incandescent bulb, changed out my bent handlebars, licensence plate light with a LED, front headlight marker light with LED, put newly plasti dipped plastics (wrong color) back on the bike and went for a night ride.    The headlight is perfectly bright enough and I don't have to worry about cutting anything out or melting plastics.  The color was miscommunication so the guy will re-dip for free. Kind of good in the sense that I can beat the paint a little to see how tough it will be before I get the better deal. Thanks for the heads up on wear on leg rub at tank. Was just thinking about tank pads like my old triumph had.....or paint for real. But for $100.00 per plasti dip, I can change the color twice a year. 
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0487_zps3d144935.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0488_zpsfbfaa764.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0489_zpsd170a3ad.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/IMG_0490_zpsd5bb924e.jpg

This color is way awesome you should hang on to it for awhile.

Can you explain this process of color dipping?  Never heard of that before

Snorkel Info

Agreed. That article makes a lot of sense. It may make a lot of people reconsider doing this. I know I won't be doing this now.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Pretty much the exact same process as spraying on paint onto any surface without damage to the original paint.  The base coat is usually a flat black but you can use other colors mainly for chameleon colors.  Check out DipYourCar.com for the full detail on their process.  The best part of this stuff is, once you get tired of the color, you can literally just peal it right off of the surface and repaint to any color.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

scordiaboy515
Pretty much the exact same process as spraying on paint onto any surface without damage to the original paint.  The base coat is usually a flat black but you can use other colors mainly for chameleon colors.  Check out DipYourCar.com for the full detail on their process.  The best part of this stuff is, once you get tired of the color, you can literally just peal it right off of the surface and repaint to any color.
     that's wild 
  • Like 1

Installed my Traxxion AK20 cartridge fork inserts. Went for a long dial in ride and smiled all the home. The AK20 are a must do upgrade for this bike. You go from an '80's vintage fork to a modern fork with modern fork capability. This bike may be cheap at the dealer, but it needs new sus front and rear, the AK20 paired with my Penske, it's now a real bike.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Cool @rsmallfoot! Would you be able to start a new thread on how to to install those cartridges? And maybe elaborate a bit. I am sure people would love to know.

Installed the EJK and the Akra Carbon....it looks and sounds like a whole new beast!! Only problem is they didn't send a reducer for the bung and O2 sensor :(, so unfortunately I cant say how its changed anything while riding.

• Premium Member
Only problem is they didn't send a reducer for the bung and O2 sensor :(, so unfortunately I cant say how its changed anything while riding.
What do you mean by this? You leave the O2 sensor plugged in (into the pipe) and disconnect the sensor plug. 

Only problem is they didn't send a reducer for the bung and O2 sensor :(, so unfortunately I cant say how its changed anything while riding.
What do you mean by this? You leave the O2 sensor plugged in (into the pipe) and disconnect the sensor plug.
The threaded bung welded into the exhaust where the O2 sensor is supposed to go is to large for the stock O2 sensor. I believe a reducer should have been included. No, the O2 sensor will not screw into the pipe due to it needing to have a reducer fitting. I have disconnected the sensor plug as well for the time being until I get sent the proper part.
Its my luck...I always get shorted on parts or something. Why cant it just be like it is supposed to be!! lol

The threaded bung welded into the exhaust where the O2 sensor is supposed to go is to large for the stock O2 sensor. I believe a reducer should have been included. No, the O2 sensor will not screw into the pipe due to it needing to have a reducer fitting. I have disconnected the sensor plug as well for the time being until I get sent the proper part.
Its my luck...I always get shorted on parts or something. Why cant it just be like it is supposed to be!! lol

Pictures and video of the Akra carbon when you get a chance! :) 

Any NAPA store or other auto parts store should have the adapter you need and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png