The MT-07 Forum

Stock exhaust cross section

rotaryryan24

I picked a spare stock exhaust a while ago, to cut apart and play with.
Finally got around to it today. I knew that it was going to be restrictive but had no idea just how bad it was.
b793d361791cefa4e1f672e0769b62d4.jpg

The collector isn't bad but after that the exhaust gases go through a 6" long cat into the middle chamber (yellow arrows). Then through a baffle and into rear chamber (green arrows). Then through a long baffle tube to the front chamber (blue arrows). Then finally going out the 1" outlet pipe (orange arrows).

e6b0a24b2c355ec34b7bde9a76088759.jpg
This pic is looking from the back to the front.

Just thought I would share.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

What's your plans with it? Cut the inside out and weld back up or just curious what the inside looked like?

scrap the stock muffler and build my own system from the collector back.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

• Global Moderator

Very cool, thanks for sharing. You can always transform it into a mouse trap. I am sure that once they find their way in, they will never escape. :)

Very cool, thanks for sharing. You can always transform it into a mouse trap. I am sure that once they find their way in, they will never escape. :)

That is a great idea. I think I might do that.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Yammy OEM is a bit more than the fiber-glass packed BUB cans I had on my Ducati 900 and LeMans 850. Looking through them was a straight shot, front to rear. And very little muffling! You guys all want to make some noise, I guess if the world is going to hate you it makes sense to give them a reason.
BTW my CL350 has a Kerker 2 into 1, the neighbors hate it!

Could you post a PIC from the inlet pipe to see if removal of the cat is possible or could you do that and post if its easy, cheers Duncan UK.

• 4 months later...

Awesome pics Ryan. I'm just gonna fab up my own exhaust from the scrap racks. Do u know by chance what the OD is on the cat? A guess would be fine. Pic has my brain thinking options ;-) thanks again for sharing and rubber side down.

I have thrown it in the trash, but I would guess the od is somewhere in the 2" range. Good luck on making your own exhaust, it's cool to see people building their own stuff.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

I have thrown it in the trash, but I would guess the od is somewhere in the 2" range. Good luck on making your own exhaust, it's cool to see people building their own stuff.

Thank you sir.

• Premium Member

I really think the stock exhaust is pretty well engineered. I love the dark golden hue mine is developing (300 miles today)!

Why can't left turners see us?

I really think the stock exhaust is pretty well engineered. I love the dark golden hue mine is developing (300 miles today)!
I think it is also.  It will last for a very long time and does a good job of not being too restrictive as evident by the lack of power that aftermarket exhausts are producing. 
It has 3 things about it that are liabilities:

1.  It is Ugly as sin.  Something that is rather important to not be on a motorcycle for exhaust.
2.  It is heavy.  Also something important on a motorcycle for exhaust not to be.
3.  It is too quiet.  This is subjective but I think the majority agree with me here.

• Premium Member

I think it is also.  It will last for a very long time and does a good job of not being too restrictive as evident by the lack of power that aftermarket exhausts are producing. 
It has 3 things about it that are liabilities:

1.  It is Ugly as sin.  Something that is rather important to not be on a motorcycle for exhaust.
2.  It is heavy.  Also something important on a motorcycle for exhaust not to be.
3.  It is too quiet.  This is subjective but I think the majority agree with me here.

The ugly part is subjective, I think it fits the bike a lot better than some of the bolt on cans.
I agree on the heavy part. It's a beast.
The "too quiet" part, I'm torn on. I wish it had a deeper rumble and slightly louder, but some of the aftermarket clips I've heard don't sound that great either, and are too loud.
With that in mind, I'm still looking for what I want. Two Bros is close and I kinda like the Ixil SX1

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived